Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Mixing and Mastering Question

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Stabort

Mixing and Mastering Question

Postby Stabort » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:38 pm

I want to isolate frequencies to specific bands (roughly speaking), but linear phase eq's introduce a latency that is more of a hassle than the benefit they give over analog EQ's. Is there an analog EQ VST that allows for very low dB cuts in the range of -40dB-60dB?

P.S.
This is just one of the things I'm trying in the desperate effort to reduce phase cancellation overall in my music.
I can't think of a good one.

Mark Bliss

Re: Mixing and Mastering Question

Postby Mark Bliss » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:50 pm

Not sure if you want narrow surgical cuts or high pass filtering?

You'd probably want a parametric EQ either way. Theres one included, and many third party options.

You edited while I was typing my reply.
Phase cancellation caused by?
Thats usually a recording thing, and you cant simply EQ it away, so I am further confused by your question.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Stabort

Postby Stabort » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:23 am

I may be using the wrong terminology. By "phase cancellation", I'm using it more as a general term to describe constructive and destructive interference between sound waves. What I am trying to convey is the interaction of sound waves at certain frequencies cause a drop in definition of a what would be a purer sound from a given frequency range if you had, say, just one instrument playing in that range. You could reduce my entire explanation to whether or not Stabort has a good mix and arrangement.

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:43 am

Hmm, it sounds like you’re saying that you want to learn how to EQ instruments so they play nicely with each other? If so, there are many YouTube videos on the topic you may want to check out... But in a nutshell, its just boosting and reducing frequencies from different instruments so they stand out and don't conflict with each other.
- Joe -
MX 8.1 Pro, Build 418, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, D35, stomp boxes and a lot of microphones, etc.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Frequency masking?
Basics:
Decide which track/instrument you want to dominate the specific frequency range and cut those frequencies in the other track/instrument. (Generally and a basic description) "making room" for the sound you want to be dominant or more "up front"
Again, most people would use a parametric EQ. Shelf EQ or relatively wide Q.

Major tip:
Make adjustments in context, not while soloing tracks. VERY common mistake.
IE: What sounds best in solo will not likely work in context. And what works in context will often sound pretty bad in solo. Try not to use the solo button when mixing. Mute sometimes yes, avoid the solo button.

You will also likely find that you can get the EQ settings closer to ideal much faster if you either do it before any panning or use a processor to toggle your project to mono. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Stabort

Postby Stabort » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 am

Thank you very much Mark. Your major tip helps a lot. I'm using Jeroen Breebart's free VST Omnisone to toggle the master to mono and it really helps in balancing volume. As for EQing, I decided to create submixes that roughly divide frequencies based on the instruments and where I think they belong. I am being careful not to cut too much of their ranges so that I don't lose important harmonics.

Return to “General Music Topics”