Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Mixcraft sans Windows

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

User avatar
AHornsby
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby AHornsby » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:39 pm

I went ahead and ditched Win 10 for Cinnamon Linux (on the main computer) and have been without Mixcraft for a while. This evening I downloaded Wine, which is a compatibility layer for running Windows applications without having Windows as the OS. I downloaded Mixcraft again and it seems to work fine. Ahhhh. So essentially, you don't need Windows on your computer at all to run Mixcraft.

JonInc
Posts: 472
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:30 pm
Location: East of Santa Monica

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby JonInc » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:31 am

Is this MC 7 you're talking about?

The use of Wine/Linux is interesting and all that, but I've got too many Windows programs and not enough of a chip against Microsoft to abandon Windows at the moment. And I'm happy with Win 8.1, with no plans to go to Win 10 any time soon -- free or not.

Of course, if we're eventually forced to migrate to the "Cloud" for everything, my attitude may change. :wink:

User avatar
AHornsby
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby AHornsby » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:11 am

JonInc wrote:Is this MC 7 you're talking about?:


Yes. Pro 7.1.b279, 32 bit. (I haven't tried the 64 bit version yet on Linux, but since I had it on Win7, I couldn't see much of a difference. I'm only the occasional user though.)

JonInc wrote:Of course, if we're eventually forced to migrate to the "Cloud" for everything, my attitude may change.


V.10 does just that. There will be a copy of your hard drives "out there" somewhere. This is not a good thing for original content producers!

I am using this logic: Since Microsoft will withdraw support of the various releases at some point, I might as well start putting my money elsewhere now. There are websites already denying Win 10 users access and it's going to get even uglier.

shakin_fingers
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: London, UK

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby shakin_fingers » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:55 am

There are websites already denying Win 10 users access...


Interesting assertion. Care to give an example?

I can imagine a potential issue with the new Edge browser in W10: some poorly-coded sites might fail to recognize it. But otherwise I'm not aware of any problems. But W10 has only reached 75m users after a month, so perhaps we wouldn't have heard yet?

For the record, I upgraded without issue, have been happily running MC7 (still 32-bit for now) without problems and have yet to encounter any problems on the web, although I remain mostly faithful to good old Firefox.
Mike

User avatar
Acoustica Greg
Posts: 19511
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:30 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby Acoustica Greg » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:36 am

Hi,

Yup, upgrading to Windows 10 has been fairly seamless for me. There was an issue with some Line6 audio drivers, but Line6 has released updated drivers already and there was a good workaround for the problem anyway.

On the other hand, it's nice for everybody to know that Linux users do have an option to run Mixcraft!

Greg

User avatar
AHornsby
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby AHornsby » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:06 am

AHornsby wrote:There are websites already denying Win 10 users access...


shakin_fingers wrote: Interesting assertion. Care to give an example?


I don't use them regularly so I don't know of any off-hand. If I ever wanted to though and had WIN10, I would consider this:

"http://www.zdnet.com/article/bittorrent-tracker-blocks-windows-10-users/"

User avatar
msdos622wasfun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 am
Location: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Contact:

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby msdos622wasfun » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:31 am

AHornsby wrote:
JonInc wrote:Is this MC 7 you're talking about?:


Yes. Pro 7.1.b279, 32 bit. (I haven't tried the 64 bit version yet on Linux, but since I had it on Win7, I couldn't see much of a difference. I'm only the occasional user though.)

JonInc wrote:Of course, if we're eventually forced to migrate to the "Cloud" for everything, my attitude may change.


V.10 does just that. There will be a copy of your hard drives "out there" somewhere. This is not a good thing for original content producers!

I am using this logic: Since Microsoft will withdraw support of the various releases at some point, I might as well start putting my money elsewhere now. There are websites already denying Win 10 users access and it's going to get even uglier.


Was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit on the cloud part, because I'm not sure how that's true. Sure, if you use a Microsoft account, your settings and user info are stored on their servers, same goes for if you use OneDrive, or Dropbox, or what have you. But that doesn't mean there's no such thing as local storage anymore. I keep all my projects on my D: drive, and it is in no way connected to any cloud. And from what I understand, one can still create a local offline account with Windows 10, although I admit I don't think Microsoft makes it glaringly apparent how to do so. You kind of have to look for that feature.
Feel free to check out my blog for videos, software, and more music.

User avatar
AHornsby
Posts: 1169
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: NE Oklahoma

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby AHornsby » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:02 am

msdos622wasfun wrote: Was wondering if you could elaborate a little bit on the cloud part, because I'm not sure how that's true. Sure, if you use a Microsoft account, your settings and user info are stored on their servers, same goes for if you use OneDrive, or Dropbox, or what have you. But that doesn't mean there's no such thing as local storage anymore. I keep all my projects on my D: drive, and it is in no way connected to any cloud. And from what I understand, one can still create a local offline account with Windows 10, although I admit I don't think Microsoft makes it glaringly apparent how to do so. You kind of have to look for that feature.


We're not kids. If we install a program and check the box that says there is no expectation of privacy, what then are we to expect? Essentially, the excess space on all our hard drives is being used indiscreetly to monitor each others' data, only to be mined at will --with the proper placement of ones and zeroes-- by whomever.

That is the cloud... and not so much the correspondingly gargantuan server farms that are also key players.

(It's easy to hide stuff on the "cloud.")

There are two choices. We can either deal with it or hang up the phone. -h

User avatar
fredfish
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Colchester, Essex, UK

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby fredfish » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:08 am

AHornsby wrote:
We're not kids. If we install a program and check the box that says there is no expectation of privacy, what then are we to expect? Essentially, the excess space on all our hard drives is being used indiscreetly to monitor each others' data, only to be mined at will --with the proper placement of ones and zeroes-- by whomever.

That is the cloud... and not so much the correspondingly gargantuan server farms that are also key players.

(It's easy to hide stuff on the "cloud.")

There are two choices. We can either deal with it or hang up the phone. -h


Reluctantly I have a tendency to agree with you. I know there are those that say if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about, well I don't agree. It isn't just about the intrusive nature of these policies it is also about security of data. The have been far too many recent debacles regarding compromised data for me to think that these systems are completely safe. I know there are assurances that this type of information wont be collected, while the systems and procedures used are being implemented without total clarity then I am sorry I just don't believe the assurances.

I for one will be sticking with Windows 7 for as long as I can and then perhaps I will follow suite and go for Linux.

And the truth is it probably wont have a significant impact on piracy either - you can bet your life there are already ways that people have found to circumvent security measures. The only way long to to dent the piracy problem (it will never completely go away) is for companies to produce quality products that are priced fairly or perhaps have payment plans etc. Frankly that is what I like about the approach that Acoustica take with Mixcraft!

Sad but true.

Cheers

John

User avatar
msdos622wasfun
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 am
Location: Sterling Heights, MI, USA
Contact:

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby msdos622wasfun » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:50 am

Mixcraft is a great product that I don't mind paying a reasonable fee for, I agree 100%.

Piracy can probably be best reduced by simply making things affordable and offering great value. And DRM can be a pain, but when it's done right, like Steam, it seems like it can be made to work.

And I also don't want to dismiss your guys' privacy concerns.

But with me, I understand the risk/benefit tradeoff, which is why I didn't mind choosing "Express Settings" when I installed Windows 10. It told me exactly what the stipulations were, and I accepted them. Sure, somewhere, somehow, we're probably being "mined," but I'm just not convinced that my OneNote notes are that valuable to the highest levels of the CIA or that somebody has now extracted an exact copy of my Mixcraft projects as well as all the other projects from all the other DAWs that I use because they found a way to sneak into my system somehow. I'm just not that famous -- but then again, if I was a professional working in the industry, I'd probably be more concerned about security than I am now.

What I like about my Microsoft account, and, heck, even my Google account is the convenience. When I go back and forth between my production rig and my Asus tablet/notebook hybrid, my identity follows me and so do my settings. And when I upgrade from an older Android tablet to a newer one, setup is easy because all I have to do is log in and bam, my e-mail is there, my apps are there, etc. I just don't think these two companies are out to get me, but I get what you mean about the cloud encompassing more than just that.

I *definitely* do not agree with the notion that if you have nothing to hide then you shouldn't worry about privacy and just let the governments and corporations of the world have unlimited impunity. But it just seems like the ship has sailed in the sense that if we are really concerned about this crisis the way we think we are, we'd stop using banks, stop putting things in our mailboxes (heck, if you put a check in it to pay a bill, anyone could just walk up and take it), stop talking on the phone, stop ordering goods and services online, stop voting, demand we have no social security numbers, etc. In other words, live completely off the grid.
Feel free to check out my blog for videos, software, and more music.

User avatar
fredfish
Posts: 1365
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 12:57 pm
Location: Colchester, Essex, UK

Re: Mixcraft sans Windows

Postby fredfish » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:18 am

I do completely get you. And like you I don't think my messages about my everyday mundane life are of interest to anybody (most of the time not even to me :) ).

However what I am more concerned about are "backdoor" attacks. I realise these types of intrusion are out there now through Malware / spyware / Trojans and viruses - which is why I take precautions such as running anti virus (I never knowingly download a file and run it with out right clicking on it and getting my anti-virus software to check it out - I know this isn't always perfect).

If the potential for data mining is there then the potential for it to be hacked and personal details that are on my computer that I don't want shared to be shared.

I don't want to give the impression that I spend every minute of every day worrying about the data on my computer because I don't. What I do is to take precautions, one of those precautions for me (unless things change) is not to install an operating system that doesn't allow me to have complete control over my data.

Cheers

John


Return to “Mixcraft”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSN [Bot] and 30 guests