Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

How do I make my recordings sound good through speakers?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

jlouvar

Re: How do I make my recordings sound good through speakers?

Postby jlouvar » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:35 am

I haven’t read the thread so I don’t know if it’s been mentioned, but if not here is a tip.

Whichever headphones and monitors you buy, always use the same headphones and monitors for listening and mixing so you get use to how they sound.
- Joe -
MX 8.1 Pro, Build 418, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, D35, stomp boxes and a lot of microphones, etc.

geobee

Postby geobee » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:52 pm

kr236rk wrote:Think it was Brian Wilson who was only happy with a studio recording after he had heard it through the equivalent of a tinny mono car radio speaker - because if it sounded good low-fi it was going to sound good anywhere.
This and what Mark stated is the absolute truth, end of story. This is what even the pro's do, but not many will admit to it.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:05 pm

Thanks but I disagree!
Robert Allen had the best reply in this old thread. Concise and on point. Bravo! :D
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

DavidMcKnight

Postby DavidMcKnight » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

I realize this is a very old post, but contains some timeless information. Thanks to those who contribute.

It reminds me of a thread I (partially) read on the Reaper forums, which I dug through quite a lot when deciding on which DAW to use (MX of course). But regardless of the DAW you use, I (as a MX newbie but decades-long musician) would highly recommend searching their forum for a thread titled "Why do your recordings sound like ass" The thread was started in 2008 and last updated today. Periodically someone will archive the thread into multiple PDFs. Some impressive information there as well.
MX 8.1 Pro, 64-bit. DIY PC w/ i5, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB, Windows 10. DIY desk from bobgmusic@comcast.net. Behringer 1820. M-Audio LX-4 monitors. Peavey 5-string bass. Strat w EMGs. Seagull acoustic. R0de NT1-A, Behringer C2. M-Audio controller.

Rolling Estonian

Postby Rolling Estonian » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:47 am

DavidMcKnight wrote:"Why do your recordings sound like ass" The thread was started in 2008 and last updated today. Periodically someone will archive the thread into multiple PDFs. Some impressive information there as well.

That thread should be bookmarked by everyone, imo.

M

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:53 am

How do I make my recordings sound good through speakers?

The answer should be “Get Drunk”, lol. :wink: :lol:
- Joe -
MX 8.1 Pro, Build 418, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, D35, stomp boxes and a lot of microphones, etc.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:35 pm

DavidMcKnight wrote:I realize this is a very old post, but contains some timeless information.

I dont know whether to be impressed or perplexed by the frequency of the threads view counts and the way it keeps popping back up!
There must be a lot of questions or related problems related to the title I guess.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

zzgani

Postby zzgani » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:29 am

Simple answer is don't mixing with head phones. Buy a decent pair of monitors. I bought m-audio monitors small one for $80 and they still work great.
There is considerable difference in the output mix quality and their fidelity across different speakers such as car audio, sound bar etc.

Return to “Mixcraft”