Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Headphones

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

BillW

Headphones

Postby BillW » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:09 pm

I actually hesitate to ask this question since there are dozens of well respected brands, thousands of models, and probably more opinions than that.

So - let me make it easy. Easier? Less difficult? Less likely to start an endless debate?

Closed vs open back. I'm intrigued by someone here who mentioned a Samson brand of semi-open are almost too cheap to be true ($30).

Semi-open, so I've read - is preferred because it's a more natural listening environment.

I already have a decent (but no way expensive) closed back Sennheisers tha tI like for listening. But I've taken to mixing through my computer speakers (better sounding than you'd think) since I felt I wasn't getting a good sense of how the song would sound "in the air". But I'd rather mix with headphones because the constant replaying - looping - etc I know is getting my wife annoyed.

(Happy wife, etc.)

So - open or semi-open for mixing > closed?
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.

outteh

Re: Headphones

Postby outteh » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Open, for mixing. Doesn't "color" the sound as much as closed back. :D

rrichard63

Postby rrichard63 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Open back for mixing. Closed back for performers while recording, to reduce bleed into their microphones, and also to reduce distractions while performing. In that situation, these factors outweigh the better fidelity of open back.

comedians

Postby comedians » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:20 pm

Hi Bill

You may want to read this https://sonarworks.com/blog/how-to-choose-the-best-studio-headphones/

There are also several pages of tips to mixing on headphones.

Personaly I use Samson SR850's, low cost, comfortable, good response and reasonably flat response, and I might have I have several pairs of expensive cans which I no longer use prefering the Samson.

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:30 pm

I use earpieces that hook over my ears. They work fine and don't block my sinuses (like headphones do). Say what you want, I know what I'm doing :P :lol:
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 418 (64bit)
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2).

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:50 pm

But I'd rather mix with headphones because the constant replaying - looping - etc I know is getting my wife annoyed.

Things to consider:
"Constant replaying, looping" etc. sounds like mostly editing. Much of this can be done equally as well on closed back and often, inexpensive headphones. Or even ear buds sometimes. Etc.
Plus they are very much more desirable for recording/monitoring purposes. (Porpoises not so much, they keep sliding off their heads)

And while good open backs are superior to closed backs for truly critical listening when mixing, be aware that unlike closed backs, anyone around you can often hear them pretty well too. And I dont know about the previously mentioned semi's, but generally studio grade open backs arent that inexpensive either.

Maybe you can talk your wife into wearing the closed backs while you work with the opens......
Yeah, me neither. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Khaos Hellatron

Postby Khaos Hellatron » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:49 am

I suggest you use a type that you're comfortable with. I myself have Monitors, Closed-Back Headphones, Open-Back Headphones and I use them of course. But, you know what I ended up using as my main mixing monitor? My trusty Sennheiser MX 400 II (They're like $6). Yes, they're just Earbuds - but they work for me. A huge factor is perhaps earbuds were what I got used to listening to since I was a kid so I know exactly how they should sound and feel in my ears. What I'm trying to say is try both Open and Closed-Back and go with whatever sounds and feels naturally right for you.
Win7 x64 | AMD A8 6600K Quad [3.9GHz] | G.Skill RipjawsX RAM [8GHz] | NI Komplete Audio 6 | Mackie CR4 | KRK KNS 6400 | Superlux HD661 | Sennheiser MX 400 II

Return to “Mixcraft”