Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

MC8 EQ values

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

sjoens

MC8 EQ values

Postby sjoens » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:21 pm

I noticed the Mid EQ values go from -12 to +12 while Hi and Lo go from -15 to +15. Is this normal or should they all be consistent?
Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio (418), Windows 10 Alienware laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, Behringer UFX1204USB mixer/interface.

Mark Bliss

Re: MC8 EQ values

Postby Mark Bliss » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:13 pm

Pretty much normal.
You might also be interested in this: http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22744
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

sjoens

Postby sjoens » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:30 am

Thanks. I've seen where most live mixers like the one I currently use have consistent ranges. This is the 1st instance where I've encountered different ranges on the same board.

I'm making new EQ knobs and was trying to add numerical values display below the knob. But since they all use the same knob, having differing ranges makes this functionality impractical.

You might also be interested in this: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22744

I only use mixers with sweepable mid freqs so a "4th" knob in MC would be cool. NOT to be confused with 4 band EQ separating Hi & Lo mids. I don't care for those at all.
Mixcraft 8.1 Pro Studio (418), Windows 10 Alienware laptop, Windows 10 64 bit, Behringer UFX1204USB mixer/interface.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am

Not gonna disagree, just explain my point a little-

I have some small amount of experience from "back in the day" on analog mixers. I recall most having no defined levels to the range of cuts/boosts. Just a zero, and a + and - sign. And a range between. Generally defined by ear.
And I have no proof, but it seemed to me the high and low frequency attenuators often had a little more range than the mid. Maybe.
Either way, in practical use, I wouldn't generally see much utility in using 12, much less 15 dB cuts in a channel strip EQ. Most often, smaller increments suit the purpose IMO.

As far as the number of knobs and frequency ranges, I have seen quite a range of examples.

One very famous example would be the Neve 1073.
This I believe had 3 EQ bands, with the high shelf fixed at 12K, the "mid" was adjustable from what could be considered "hi mid" to "low mid", and the low was adjustable between what I would consider "low" and "low mid" frequencies. Add to this a HP that was adjustable from sub to the upper ranges of LF and you had a highly configurable EQ.
For most uses beyond a bass guitar and kick drum, I saw it configured as High, "High mid" and "lo mid" and the HP taking care of rolling off the low frequencies as needed. So not really a High, Mid and Low EQ. Kind of works out like 4 ranges really.

Using this example as but one "ideal" you can see why I for one find the Mixcraft mixer EQ's limiting for advanced use. As I described in the linked post, I think the high and low have some usability, but the mid has very limited use for me.
An upgrade would be welcome. Add this and an input trim, and a mono toggle and.........

This has all been suggested before. We aren't alone.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Return to “Mixcraft”