Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Sunday Night Jam

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

bigaquarium

Sunday Night Jam

Postby bigaquarium » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:20 pm

Evening!

I'm going to try to do some kind of a weekly jam video on YouTube. Episode 1 features my Yamaha Reface CS analog synth, which I hooked up to MC for the first time. It was an interesting experience doing MIDI and Audio with it at the same time but it worked out well, and provided the opportunity to work the filters and other goodies while the notes were playing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg9LZsn ... e=youtu.be

- N

Ian Craig

Re: Sunday Night Jam

Postby Ian Craig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:17 pm

Very nice Nathan, I didn't know you used the performance panel. I've only ever used it twice. Your music sounds great as usual :)
Good to see your workflow approach. Those are great looking little keyboards, but I thought they had no midi (and probably don't - sorry, I couldn't follow your routing). I'll look forward to the weekly videos :D
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 418 (64bit)
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2).

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:35 pm

:lol:
I am so glad to learn it's not just me Ian!
I have literally opened the performance panel like twice since it was implemented. Stared at it a while and wondered what in the world it might be used for. :?:
Then about a year ago I won a Novation launch pad. Loaded the included software, plugged it in and stared at it for about 20 minutes.
So.... What would a person do with this?
I. do. not. get. it. :lol:

It's been in the storage closet since.
I thought it might be useful for tapping in some drum ideas, but really..... Haven't ever felt the need! Theres so many simple options that feel more intuitive to me.
Just stuff collecting dust. Doesn't "click" with me. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:35 pm

Mark Bliss wrote::lol:
I have literally opened the performance panel like twice since it was implemented. Stared at it a while and wondered what in the world it might be used for. :?:
Then about a year ago I won a Novation launch pad. Loaded the included software, plugged it in and stared at it for about 20 minutes.
So.... What would a person do with this?
I. do. not. get. it. :lol:

It's been in the storage closet since.
I thought it might be useful for tapping in some drum ideas, but really..... Haven't ever felt the need! Theres so many simple options that feel more intuitive to me.
Just stuff collecting dust. Doesn't "click" with me. 8)

Yeah, that's about the size of it Mark. 100% agree :lol:
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Afternoon!

Tonight's Sunday "Night" Jam comes early this time, and features some of the free Reaktor 6 Player modules from NI. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leqxA20 ... e=youtu.be

- N

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:51 am

Evening,

Tonight's Sunday Night Jam comes to you as a mega edition, some 13 minutes of Mixcraft goodness!

This episode features my new "portable studio" laptop and controller; everything in this track was written with them using only plugins included with Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfsdRTVblnA

- N

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Good video (apart from the use of the phrase " I hope you had a good holy week, I know that we did here" which doesn't sound particularly relevant to the rest of the video). The rest is good educational output.
Good descriptions about how to use laptops effectively, in spite of their limitations and another good run through of the things included in Mixcraft and how to potentially use them. Well done. :)
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Thu May 02, 2019 3:29 am

Morning,

Thanks for the feedback.

As for the reverb, there’s a couple things going on. For starters I just don’t have a lot of experience with it, and my sense is that it’s better to be conservative with it rather than do a bad job with it. It’s been real finicky when I’ve tried it, over-reacting to impulse sounds and all the rhythmic stuff I do.

Second is I find too much reverb to be nauseating anyway. For instance, there is an octagonal chapel at Yale that has artificially long reverb compared to the size of the space and it drives me nuts. The same goes for recording, probably because I use headphones almost all the time.

-N

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sat May 04, 2019 1:58 am

Ian Craig wrote:Very nice Nathan, I didn't know you used the performance panel... Those are great looking little keyboards, but I thought they had no midi

Morning,

Yep, much as I tried to cover it up, I’m a user! :( :D

Yes, the Refaces have MIDI in two flavors, via the USB port and also a MIDI DIN connector you can plug a small (included) adapter cable in to get a full size MIDI in and out jacks.

I came || this close to getting a DX last week but decided to get the Akai first

-N

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 am

Mark Bliss wrote::lol:

Morning,

Yeah, it probably took me a year to start messing with it but it’s really handy for two things...

First it’s great for brainstorming new material, since it automatically repeats you can come up with new riffs while the section keeps repeating. It’s sort of like a reversible/nondestructive overdub. Since you can drag, drop and copy clips you can work out the arrangement for say, verses and choruses before recording them out into the track view. It’s a fast workflow for getting ideas down before they are forgotten.

Second is ad-lib live performance, so if you have the panel comping under say your greatest solo ever, you can let it keep going without being fixed to a definite song length as you would if it were laid down in the normal manner.

-N

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sun May 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Evening,

I'm feeling a little rotten tonight, so this installment of Sunday Night Jam is music only featuring mostly live instruments, including my two Reface keyboards, Bass, and Guitar. It's... intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4NmfRp ... e=youtu.be

- N

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Mon May 06, 2019 10:42 am

I have to go to hospital (seriously, don't ask), so I'll check it out at a later point, hopefully. Stay well people.
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Mon May 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Best wishes Ian, hopefully nothing serious!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Wed May 08, 2019 6:21 am

Ian Craig wrote:I have to go to hospital (seriously, don't ask), so I'll check it out at a later point, hopefully. Stay well people.

Ian,

How are you doing?

-N

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Wed May 08, 2019 9:55 am

Mark Bliss wrote:Best wishes Ian, hopefully nothing serious!

bigaquarium wrote:Ian,
How are you doing?
-N

Last edited by Ian Craig on Sat May 25, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMD Ryzen Core 3.0 GHz,
2TB SSD etc, 40GB RAM,
Windows 10 Professional

Return to “User Showcase”