Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Cakewalk by BandLabs WOW!

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

squeakie

Cakewalk by BandLabs WOW!

Postby squeakie » Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 pm

Wow! Has anyone here in the forums downloaded Cakewalk by BandLabs yet? I used Cakewalk many years ago. I thought it was gone, but it was picked up by BL’s, and it’s FREE!

It’s a full featured version too, and even though some VST’s and plug-ins were removed to allow them to offer it free, it still includes some great VST’s and plug-ins.

I like MixCraft and all, but wow! I can’t believe this is free. You get several Cakewalk Studio Instruments (Drums, Strings, Bass, and EP). They are all very good with their own presets and ability to edit them. You also get the TTS-1, which is essentially a Roland GM sound set.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX-500, Roland RS-70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer-88, Casio PX-330, Behringer Studio Monitors, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Fujitsu T901 (i5, 8GB Ram, 64-bit, SSD), Lots of VST’s :-)

bigaquarium

Re: Cakewalk by BandLabs WOW!

Postby bigaquarium » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:19 pm

Last edited by bigaquarium on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:19 am

bigaquarium wrote:It doesn't seem as though much was added to it for the rebirth.

Quite a bit removed actually.
Kind of old news, and I found little to WOW about to be honest. Except that its free maybe..... :lol:

Its a good thing for those familiar with and preferring Cakewalk.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:50 am

Last edited by bigaquarium on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

squeakie

Postby squeakie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:18 pm

I have to disagree. In terms of DAW specific features, Cakewalk is an extremely good program. Personally I much prefer the UI and GUI to MixCraft. Some of the plug-ins included (for free) with Cakewalk cost more than MC8 Pro.

Yeah, they took away some content, but what you DO get for FREE isn’t something to scoff at. The DAW is fully featured by itself. If you get Cakewalk, and add Xpand!2 for the current price, you’ll have a full featured DAW with included VST’s and Plug-ins for less than $20.

I still use MC8 Pro (and I enjoy it), but using Cakewalk with my VST library has been more productive than what I get out of MixCraft. Even with that, I’ll still upgrade to MC9 Pro when it’s released. I find having both to be very beneficial to my music needs as there are a few proprietary features to MC that I like.

Sqk
Yamaha MOXF6, Roland Juno-Di, Casio MZX-500, Roland RS-70, M-Audio Venom, M-Audio Hammer-88, Casio PX-330, Behringer Studio Monitors, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Fujitsu T901 (i5, 8GB Ram, 64-bit, SSD), Lots of VST’s :-)

starise

Postby starise » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 am

It's only because Cakewalk went though the re organization that I ended up buying Mixcraft, so in that sense I guess it was a good thing. I now have several great DAWS!
I once was a regular paying customer of Cakewalk up until it was acquired. Since then I have continued to update it through the Bandlab interface for free.

As someone who is naturally inclined to be apprehensive about things I have to wonder what's really up with CbB. Am I letting Chinese spys into my computer through the Bandlab interface? :lol:

The new owner retained the chief programmers and hired some more. They keep updating it just like it's a payed program.Seems too good to be true since it is a fantastic program I once payed for. I guess I'll wait and see. So far at over a year later there have been no groundbreaking announcements. I think my scanner sees all of the MC8 plugins in CbB.

Just doesn't really compute for me even though I continue to use it very effectively. I keep waiting to hear how they will leverage it to make money. My first thoughts were they would sell add ons to it or the old plugins and instruments which were quite good. Someone else mentioned that maybe it's just a promotional vehicle for the new owners other products. I really don't know and will admit some uneasiness about the fact that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to any of it. All I know is I have it. It works better than ever and it's free. No it doesn't make sense at all.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:17 pm

FWIW: Other than free, I’m not impressed with Cakewalk.
- Joe -
MX 8.1 Pro, Build 418, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, D35, stomp boxes and a lot of microphones, etc.

Trensharo

Postby Trensharo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:26 pm

Mark Bliss wrote:
bigaquarium wrote:It doesn't seem as though much was added to it for the rebirth.

Quite a bit removed actually.
Kind of old news, and I found little to WOW about to be honest. Except that its free maybe..... :lol:

Its a good thing for those familiar with and preferring Cakewalk.

That's probably because you're barely used that DAW, if at all.

You get most of the Pro Channel Modules and Style Dials.
You have BREVERB 2, ReMatrix Solo and TH3 Cakewalk Editions, which are all very usable plugins.
The Sonitus FX are decent enough as basic Mixing plugins.
They ship the Boost11 Peak Limiter, Percussion Strip, Vocal Strip, Tube Leveler, and Drum Replacer.
Also VocalSync, TTS-1, and the Studio Instruments Suite.

REAPER ships with far less than that, while costing far more (esp. for legit professional use). I don't think anyone discounts its value. So this comment is... awkward at best (even if a bit predictable).

In order for anything to be worth using over Cakewalk on Windows, it either needs to:

1. Be Free and ship with more content.
2. Simply be what you prefer - which is entirely subjective, and respectable.
3. Deliver so much value in additional content that you cannot buy comparable value for a similar price, and just bolt it onto Cakewalk (and whatever you buy will work in any other DAW, as well).

I bought the AIR Complete Bundle for < $80, so #3 is quite difficult to attain out of the gate - esp. considering how bad some of the older MixCraft plugins sound. My MAGIX eFX work in Cakewalk. Union Wavetable Synth is on sale for $8. Does SONiVOX sell anything that cannot be bought for $5 or less.

There are too many free or laughably cheap plugins available for bundled stuff to be much of a selling point - especially when it's locked to a specific DAW (an obvious reason to avoid it, IMHO).

Maybe if you edit video in a DAW, MixCraft is a clear winner...

IMO, it comes down largely to preference, but I do think the base Cakewalk by BandLab DAW is stronger than the base MixCraft Pro Studio DAW. MixCraft's value is largely in the stock plugins and instruments/loops - which is generally something that beginners put a lot of value in (which is why Apple distributes similar content with GarageBand OOTB). But, if those people learn where to look for things before buying a DAW, this is largely wiped out with common sense.

I am looking forward to learning what MixCraft 9 delivers, because anything Windows-only will have to compete with this $0 product that is getting a surprising amount of development and updates since BandLab picked it up.

Also surprising is the ecosystem of content springing up around it. There are many creators making good stuff about Cakewalk by BandLab, but almost none for MixCraft. This makes it kind of difficult to get information about MixCraft, since the website doesn't really do the greatest job on educating potential customers. I've honestly been scouring YouTube the past two weeks looking for more (better) content about MixCraft to decide if I should buy it or not.
Last edited by Trensharo on Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trensharo

Postby Trensharo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 pm

starise wrote:It's only because Cakewalk went though the re organization that I ended up buying Mixcraft, so in that sense I guess it was a good thing. I now have several great DAWS!
I once was a regular paying customer of Cakewalk up until it was acquired. Since then I have continued to update it through the Bandlab interface for free.

As someone who is naturally inclined to be apprehensive about things I have to wonder what's really up with CbB. Am I letting Chinese spys into my computer through the Bandlab interface? :lol:

The new owner retained the chief programmers and hired some more. They keep updating it just like it's a payed program.Seems too good to be true since it is a fantastic program I once payed for. I guess I'll wait and see. So far at over a year later there have been no groundbreaking announcements. I think my scanner sees all of the MC8 plugins in CbB.

Just doesn't really compute for me even though I continue to use it very effectively. I keep waiting to hear how they will leverage it to make money. My first thoughts were they would sell add ons to it or the old plugins and instruments which were quite good. Someone else mentioned that maybe it's just a promotional vehicle for the new owners other products. I really don't know and will admit some uneasiness about the fact that there seems to be no rhyme or reason to any of it. All I know is I have it. It works better than ever and it's free. No it doesn't make sense at all.

They will likely bring back some of the Boutique Plugins and products like Rapture Pro, z3ta+, etc.

At that point, they can sell plugins and monetize the other components by selling expansion packs, etc.

They have already, basically, stated that these things are going to make a comeback. They just seem to be taking a bit longer than many people assumed.

Return to “General Music Topics”