Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Soundcloud?

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

chibear

Soundcloud?

Postby chibear » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:59 am

There's been a lot of chatter on other forums during recent weeks concerning the viability of Soundcloud.

Even if this is all smoke, it is probably a good idea to diversify just to keep options open. I'm gradually going to start throwing duplicates up on YouTube even though at this point it doesn't seem to generate as much interest as SC.

I've heard Bandcamp is supposed to be pretty good. Any others that you use either as a listener or composer that you think will provide decent exposure?
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube

AHornsby

Re: Soundcloud?

Postby AHornsby » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 am

Would that be financial viability or by being inaccessible on the www?

It seems to me that a while back SC let folks know that they might be going totally Euro (or something like that) which would leave North and South America in the lurch. I'm guessing that it's because of US copyright lawyers and licensing lobbyists are vying to get as large a share of the 'labeled' music revenue as they possibly can, e.g., by cutting off SC access completely if possible.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I'd love to be wrong and if someone else knows for sure it'd be nice to know.

davefk

Postby davefk » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:55 am

chibear wrote:I've heard Bandcamp is supposed to be pretty good. Any others that you use either as a listener or composer that you think will provide decent exposure?

Bandcamp is useless for exposure unless you have a big fan base who can be directed to the site, to purchase your music.

I've been on BC for a few years and so far have had very little feedback, but having an account there is just part of the process of being heard.

I'm considering dumping my SoundCloud account and going over to YouTube as a main source of exposure as its unlimited and better quality.

mixyguy2

Postby mixyguy2 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 pm

Don't have a dog in that fight but also check out Reverbnation and CD Baby.

starise

Postby starise » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:25 am

Soundcloud was saved by an Indonesian ? Investors/Investors. They received a sizable cash infusion. They don't really make any money, they seem to be helping others make a little so they stay around. As a large traded internet venture they can do that kind of thing. :wink:

I have both YouTube and SC accounts. Can't hurt to have both. YouTube is likely the future for music online.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise

TheHound

Postby TheHound » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:18 pm

chibear wrote:There's been a lot of chatter on other forums during recent weeks concerning the viability of Soundcloud.

Even if this is all smoke, it is probably a good idea to diversify just to keep options open. I'm gradually going to start throwing duplicates up on YouTube even though at this point it doesn't seem to generate as much interest as SC.

I've heard Bandcamp is supposed to be pretty good. Any others that you use either as a listener or composer that you think will provide decent exposure?

Soundcloud has a rank of 59 in the US and 109 worldwide. That's huge traffic but I don't know how they get revenue other than by their paid service.

I have stuff on Youtube and the ones that get the most views have a sexy thumbnail. The video that has the most is a subliminal weight loss video I did with Mixcraft. I think YT is mostly for how to stuff and politcal stuff. That said, Taylor Swift that that mob gets BILLIONS of views. I mean BILLIONS. There are 7 billion people in the world! Kinda makes me think they are fake views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=nfWlot6h_JM

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off

Something is fishy. No new comments in a year but the plays have increased by over 500 million.

Youtube's payout schedule: $ 0.0033/1 view $ 3/1,000 view $33/ 10,000 views $330/ 100,000 views $3300/ 1,000,000 views They start paying you only after the millionth view, and only if youre a YouTube partner.

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_youtube_pay

starise

Postby starise » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:45 am

They start paying you only after the millionth view, and only if youre a YouTube partner.

Oh yeah...we'll be there soon. :lol:
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise

TheHound

Postby TheHound » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Soundcloud is missing out on huge revenue. It is really good platform IMO. The engineering is very good. They have a HUGE audience but they are not actualizing even a tiny percentage of the revenue potential.

Soundcloud is German owned company. Look how badly the Germans have screwed up their cars. As smart as the Germans are, they often miss the big picture.

Youtube needs some competition. I hope some people break away from them and start a better platform and treat their creators ethically.

Return to “General Music Topics”