Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Sonivox Orchestral Companions (and others) on Sale

Use this topic to discuss VST and DirectX plugins for Mixcraft, Spin It Again or Beatcraft.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Starship Krupa

Sonivox Orchestral Companions (and others) on Sale

Postby Starship Krupa » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:32 am

I don't know how long the sale will last, but I plan on snagging at least the Orchestral Companion Woodwinds for $19.99. Might spring for the Brass as well.

I can vouch for the Harpsichord ($15.00) and Orchestral Companion Strings ($19.99). They sound great, as good as anything I've auditioned. The only gripes I have are that they advertise that Strings features swells available via the mod wheel and it does not, nor is there a manual with the product. But for $20 I let it slide.

Mixcraft 8.5 did have some trouble with Sonivox VSTi's for a few builds, but the issue was mysteriously fixed in build 412, so they should be good to go, and if you have any need for orchestral VSTi's, I think you can't beat them for the price.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/manufacturers/156-SONiVOX
-Erik

BillW

Re: Sonivox Orchestral Companions (and others) on Sale

Postby BillW » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Seriously thinking of getting one or more sonivox products.

I am loading the trial versions of a few right now.

My concern is the (potential) high learning curve. A few quick searches indicates their support is bad. (Side note - we MX users are really fortunate in that regard)

Your comment on the mod wheel not working as advertised is a concern.

Not sure if there is enough material/resources to learn the various techniques for articulations. I'm mostly interested in the strings.

But their BigBang percussion has some good stuff too. Like timpani. The problem is, I have little idea how to access things like rolls. There are many timpani roll wave files in the sample library, but I need to learn how to trigger them.

So Eric - your post is several months old now. Would you say their products are worth buying at a reasonable price? Tough to learn? Are there resources that are any good to help? (videos, manuals, etc?)

Thanks. I'll let you know my experience with the trial versions of bigbang, orchestral st4ings, brass, woodwinds.
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on my Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core) - but I moved it to my "less wimpy" Dell 660S with a Dual Core Pentium.

BillW

Postby BillW » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:40 pm

I unfortunately had to give up.

I loaded BigBang, Orchestral Stings, Woodwond, and Brass. Trial vetsions. They all require verification through iLock

Which I have for something else (which runs fine. Either an Amp Sim or Chris Hein Horns - do not remember which and it doesn't matter)

Anyway, when I try to verify any of these, my virus protector blocks the executable. Ok, so I remove the block and it works inside mx once. The next time I try it through mx, it's blocked. And every subsequent time, even after removing the the block, I get an errot

Uninstall and reinstall does nothing. Still blocked because McAfee decided it's dangerous.

Maybe it's the virus (over) protectot. Maybe it's it's iLok with a trial ve4sion.

Who knows how?

I can't spend time on it and as I said Sonivox has no support.

So I'm off searching for decent strings yet again.

Sonivox seems to be, let's say, far from robust.
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on my Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core) - but I moved it to my "less wimpy" Dell 660S with a Dual Core Pentium.

mixyguy2

Postby mixyguy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:46 pm

Sonivox is a joke; I wouldn't take their stuff for free (since it would still mean I'd need the stupid iLok BS).

lol @ requiring iLok for trials. Amazing how some companies seem intent on alienating their potential paying customer base.

Return to “Plugins, Plugins, Plugins!”