Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Backing Tracks and Copyright etc.

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

dpaterson

Backing Tracks and Copyright etc.

Postby dpaterson » Sat May 05, 2018 12:36 am

Hello.

This is something I've been wondering about for a while and would be keen on some thoughts from our Mixcraft community:

There's a whole new industry that's evolved over the last few years: people producing really nice high quality backing tracks (particularly guitar backing tracks) for free (and, of course, paid for too). I'm talking about original backing tracks i.e. not those for existing songs. This type of thing wasn't around in my early days i.e. you either sat for days / weeks / months on end sequencing otherwise everything had to be live. So what I'm wondering about is this: what IF you found some or the other backing track somewhere on the Internet, downloaded, tweaked, added your own whatever (vocals, keys, guitar, whatever) and it became a hit??? Where does the original creator stand insofar as copyright and other legalities (and for that matter where do YOU stand)??? Just curious is all (have not discovered the next multi-platinum hit JUST YET). And this notion that a free backing track found somewhere on the Internet could become an award winning hit ain't that far-fetched a notion either not with what passes today as so-called music (yeh: I'm from the Dio '80s you may as well know!!! LOL!!!). Just sit for a few MINUTES with some SampleTank loops, or even Acoustica's Nightlife VST, and a poor vocal (that you can fix with Melodyne) and then turn on the radio and compare your creation with the current charts and you'll see / hear what I mean!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Acoustica Greg

Re: Backing Tracks and Copyright etc.

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon May 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi,

It depends on the licensing that the author of the backing track offers. If you look through freesound.org, you can see various licensing schemes. Some authors want credit, some authors don't license for commercial use, some authors put stuff out into the public domain.

If you make a hit song from from the loops included with Mixcraft, it's your hit song and you keep all the money. The loops that come with Mixcraft are licensed for redistribution in your new creation.

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

Return to “General Music Topics”