Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

(SOLVED) Can no longer use Wave or Core Audio (Wave RT)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

JHutch420

(SOLVED) Can no longer use Wave or Core Audio (Wave RT)

Postby JHutch420 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Hey. I am a very happy long time user of your product Mixcraft. However a couple weeks ago, I started up Mixcraft and went to record as normal and it kept saying "Mixcraft could not arm the device please make sure the device is working properly and drivers are properly installed".

So I made sure everything was working fine, and it is. All drivers updated, even in windows (maybe Im missing something). Im using a Focusrite Solo for my XLR input to the PC.

I tried some troubleshooting but the only thing that allows me to record is using the ASIO driver selection within the settings. Wave, nor Core Audio (Wave RT) will allow me to arm my device, only ASIO. Keep in mind this just randomly happened, was working fine the previous day.

If you could get back to me about this I would much appreciate it. I will leave my full system specs below this message in case it helps in finding a resolution to this problem along with the equipment being used to record. Thanks for your time!

-- SYSTEM SPECS --

CPU- AMD A8 5600k
GPU- GTX 750 1gb
MOBO- BIOSTAR A55ML2
RAM- 8gb DDR3 1333
WIN- Windows 10 Home
STORAGE- 750gb HDD 7200rpm

-- HARDWARE/SOFTWARE FOR RECORDING --

INTERFACE- Focusrite Scarlett Solo
MIC- Blue Spark XLR (its orange)
DAW- Mixcraft 8 Pro/ 64-bit/ Build # 413 :oops: :?
Last edited by JHutch420 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas

Re: Can no longer use Wave or Core Audio (Wave RT)

Postby Thomas » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Your PC was working correctly recently. Try to remember what changes might have happened between then and now. For instance, sometimes a Windows update can break something. You can look into the Windows update history to see if there has been a recent update. Unfortunately, MS has gotten more heavy handed with the forced updates these days.
Tom Was Already Taken, Therefore Thomas
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram 7200RPM HDD
Behringer UMC404HD v4.38 interface

JHutch420

Postby JHutch420 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:26 pm

Thomas wrote:Your PC was working correctly recently. Try to remember what changes might have happened between then and now. For instance, sometimes a Windows update can break something. You can look into the Windows update history to see if there has been a recent update. Unfortunately, MS has gotten more heavy handed with the forced updates these days.

Thanks for the response!

I took a look and the last update for windows was 07/03/2018, and this problem didnt start until about 2 weeks ago.

I do A LOT on my pc so its hard to tell if something I downloaded would effect Mixcraft without reverting my pc back 4 weeks and losing all the data since then (and Im not even sure if my restore points are active at the moment)

Could it be anything else having to do with Mixcraft or any audio driver issues within Windows?

And if it so happens to be a Windows update that did it, how would I resolve this as I dont wanna lose a whole update for 1 broken thing haha.

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:36 am

Try using some other software that would make use of WaveRT or Wave and see if they're available there. Short of using Windows restore, you can make sure all your projects are backed up and reinstall Mixcraft. I'm not sure what would prevent Mixcraft from accessing WaveRT or Waves.
Tom Was Already Taken, Therefore Thomas
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio 64-Bit
Windows 10 64-Bit
AMD Athlon II X4 645 3.1 GHz 10GB Ram 7200RPM HDD
Behringer UMC404HD v4.38 interface

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:55 am

Hi,

ASIO is really your best option. Your Focusrite Scarlett was designed to work optimally in ASIO mode. Is there some reason you don't want to use ASIO?

Have you tried downloading and installing the appropriate Windows audio driver from Focusrite's drivers page?

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

dpaterson

Postby dpaterson » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:59 am

Hello.

In your \Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 8 folder there are two shortcuts i.e. "Reset Audio To Factory Defaults" and "Reset To Factory Defaults". Try "Reset Audio To Factory Defaults" and see if that resolves the issue. Personally I've never used either (never had the need to) but I see Greg from Acoustica Support suggests it from time to time.

Regards,

Dale.

P.S. Greg (obviously) posted while I was typing the above.

There may be a reason why the OP wants to use Wave or Core Audio (Wave RT) i.e. I don't have a choice with my mixers or CODE amps. (unless I use ASIO4ALL of course). Point is (I guess) that all three should work at all times and no reason for them not to.

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:15 pm

Every time, since installing Windows 10 on a new machine, that I boot up or reboot the computer no audio or video will play until (via the taskbar speaker icon being right-clicked and selecting 'sounds') I select an alternative audio playback device as default, then playback of youtube videos or audio files begins and works when I change the default playback device from my Focusrite Scarlett 18-8 (1st Generation) to my TV/monitor HDMI and back again. It just never works unless I do this. It has only happened in Windows 10. No matter how many times I re-install the driver the system refuses to let it load at system startup. I hate Windows 10. It has to be by far the worst operating system I have used i.e. of all Windows versions from 3.1 onwards (except Vista, which I have never used).
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 413 (64bit)
Intel Xeon Six Core 2.67 GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2)
(I'm 52) :shock:
https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/

JHutch420

Postby JHutch420 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:35 pm

dpaterson wrote:Hello.

In your \Program Files\Acoustica Mixcraft 8 folder there are two shortcuts i.e. "Reset Audio To Factory Defaults" and "Reset To Factory Defaults". Try "Reset Audio To Factory Defaults" and see if that resolves the issue. Personally I've never used either (never had the need to) but I see Greg from Acoustica Support suggests it from time to time.

Regards,

Dale.

P.S. Greg (obviously) posted while I was typing the above.

There may be a reason why the OP wants to use Wave or Core Audio (Wave RT) i.e. I don't have a choice with my mixers or CODE amps. (unless I use ASIO4ALL of course). Point is (I guess) that all three should work at all times and no reason for them not to.

Sorry for the late and long response hopefully someone is still listening and PLEASE read in full to really grasp my issue here.

The reason I want to use Wave RT or, perferably wave, is because my CPU is just terrible. When running the max ASIO buffer of 1024 (using 48khz), while watching Youtube, or just listening to music in Window Media Player, I hear clicks and pops. The type of clicks and pops that come from "too low of a buffer for your CPU" .. Basically my PC is trash and its best for my workflow to use Wave RT or Wave.

Im able to PLAYBACK all audio from Mixcraft, using Wave or WaveRT, I just CANNOT record using it. Which like I said, the day before it was working perfectly fine and nothing changed (I checked event logs and update logs from windows).

Did a system rollback, nothing, updated my Focusrite Solo Gen 1 interface from the latest drivers from the website (it was the same driver I already had insalled). Ive updated Windows fully, I even tried updating Realtek HD Audio... nothing has worked. I also made sure to update my Mixcraft and there was actually an update and I thought that was going to fix it, nope, didnt fix it. I did the MC update before I created the original post. Basically Ive already tried everything before reaching out for some more in depth options I may not know about.

My biggest worry about this is, is it was working fine, no issues. Then it just stopped working and when it did, the clicks n pops moved into ALL my audio from the system which makes me believe its definately something with Windows but I have NO IDEA what it could be..

It also seems that ASIO is being used as my default sound driver for my entire system, and its possible that it always has been. But up until I this issue began with recording, I never had random clicks n pops while just watching Youtube like its working the CPU too hard.

Last thing, I really want a fix because its making my workflow while recording a customer very difficult as when I click on a spot to play itll make loud static/skipping/popping noise. And I cannot do as many tracks with the same effects that I was able to do before so its hindering my work.

P.S************** its probably important I mention the CPU only gets to 16% usage when the clicks n pops happen while watching Youtube... so I have no idea whats going on..... Dying interface?

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:07 pm

Hmm. Don't know if its related, but YouTube videos wont run for me if an incidence of Mixcraft is even open. Never have as far as I know, I get a failure notice.
And to be honest I have never even tried on my system with an external interface hooked up, much less in ASIO mode...…
I have always just closed Mixcraft and used my on-board audio card for those purposes.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

dpaterson

Postby dpaterson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:30 am

Isn't it funny that we all have the same stuff but different problems???

I can run YouTube with Mixcraft open using ASIO drivers no problem. What I cannot do is open something else like Sound Forge Pro 12 from within Mixcraft (as my audio editor). It opens but I get the crackles and pops in Sound Forge even although Mixcraft is doing nothing at the time.

I'm going to suggest something radical here to the OP:

Download this little utility and run it: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html. Delete ALL USB devices shown (do it in Windows' Safe Mode) and then reboot back into Windows' Safe Mode and wait for Windows to discover all of your devices again then reboot as normal (but please make sure you have all of the drivers on disk or backup somewhere in case you have to reinstall them which you shouldn't have to do though). I have seen it happen (more than once) where USB device drivers either left over or as a result of more than one installation cause havoc.

Regards,

Dale.

JHutch420

Postby JHutch420 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:10 pm

Mark Bliss wrote:Hmm. Don't know if its related, but YouTube videos wont run for me if an incidence of Mixcraft is even open. Never have as far as I know, I get a failure notice.
And to be honest I have never even tried on my system with an external interface hooked up, much less in ASIO mode...…
I have always just closed Mixcraft and used my on-board audio card for those purposes.

TY for the response!

For the past 2 years Ive had 0 issues using mixcraft with wave or wave rt... I disabled Micrafts exclusive control to be able to play other sounds while its open so that may be why I can.

But this issue just appeared randomly after no driver changes, no updates to pc, no nothing. I went to sleep with it working fine, woke up next day to it only being able to use ASIO n NOW it seems like ASIO is running my entire PC.

Is there anyway to check if an ASIO driver is running my system sound? Or has it always been running my system sound since I use my interface n monitors for all sound on my pc? (Ik thats not customary but I dont have other speakers to use).

I even reached out to Focusrite yesterday about all this and still havent recieved a response yet sadly but that was just yesterday I wrote them.

I dont know what theyd do though I just dont know how to fix this.. Im almost at the point of contacting Microsoft to see if its a windows issue but they probably dont even know what Focusrite is or will tell me to contact the manufactuer lol.

The only other software I have for recording to even test this on is FL Studio 12, n I never seen an option for Wave-WaveRT in Fl Studio.....

This is really hurting my brain and soul because the clicking n popping is even in Youtube videos... like the driver being used doesnt have a high enough buffer...

JHutch420

Postby JHutch420 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:30 pm

dpaterson wrote:Isn't it funny that we all have the same stuff but different problems???

I can run YouTube with Mixcraft open using ASIO drivers no problem. What I cannot do is open something else like Sound Forge Pro 12 from within Mixcraft (as my audio editor). It opens but I get the crackles and pops in Sound Forge even although Mixcraft is doing nothing at the time.

I'm going to suggest something radical here to the OP:

Download this little utility and run it: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html. Delete ALL USB devices shown (do it in Windows' Safe Mode) and then reboot back into Windows' Safe Mode and wait for Windows to discover all of your devices again then reboot as normal (but please make sure you have all of the drivers on disk or backup somewhere in case you have to reinstall them which you shouldn't have to do though). I have seen it happen (more than once) where USB device drivers either left over or as a result of more than one installation cause havoc.

Regards,

Dale.

Ty for the option. The only USB devices I have are mouse, keyboard, focusrite interface, and a xbox controller.

Ive completely removed focusrite from my pc and reinstalled it again.

Now in Mixcraft under ASIO, where it shows which device to use for both inputs, Focusrite USB ASIO is no longer there, only asio4all (which I CAN get a signal from) and FL Studio Asio, the previous Focusrite USB ASIO is now gone...

This is a mess.........

dpaterson

Postby dpaterson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:32 am

Hi.

Ive completely removed focusrite from my pc and reinstalled it again.

That's kinda my point. Simply removing and re-installing doesn't always do the trick. It's SUPPOSED to but sometime things go awry and the device instances and ID's (and whatever else) are left over and this can, and sometimes does, cause problems (I think they're called "ghost" devices).

Focusrite USB ASIO is no longer there, only asio4all (which I CAN get a signal from) and FL Studio Asio, the previous Focusrite USB ASIO is now gone...

Well. I'd hazard a guess and say "there's your problem right there" i.e. once you get it back in Mixcraft then I'd say for certain the rest will follow and correct. How you are going to do that I do not know. If it were me: I'd uninstall ASIO4ALL, uninstall the Focusrite driver, remove all USB devices (as per my original post), run some cleaners (like CCleaner and a registry cleaner) (I have Raxco's Perfect Registry and have used it for years and years), and then, if needs be, re-install the Focusrite driver etc. etc. etc. Oh and after removing all of this stuff I'd run that Mixcraft utility to reset the audio to default (before and after doing all of this). And if possible also: disable any other sound devices you have (in Windows and then in the BIOS) (in that order) and see what happens.

If none of the above worked well, then, I'd be reformatting and re-installing Windows and so on and so forth. When things get real bad sometimes it's the only way i.e. I hate sitting with a PC after having fixed a fault and not really knowing what caused the problem and wondering when it's going to happen again.

Regards,

Dale.

Rolling Estonian

Postby Rolling Estonian » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:10 am

Nobody has mentioned to right click on the speaker icon and go to the advanced settings and make sure the settings there are the same as your interface. I've lost audio from YouTube and such and these settings were the ticket.

M

dpaterson

Postby dpaterson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:05 am

Nobody has mentioned to right click on the speaker icon and go to the advanced settings and make sure the settings there are the same as your interface. I've lost audio from YouTube and such and these settings were the ticket.

M

That would be too easy a fix!!! LOL!!!

Regards,

Dale.

Return to “Mixcraft”