Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

PlugIn Boutique

Use this topic to discuss VST and DirectX plugins for Mixcraft, Spin It Again or Beatcraft.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

BillW

PlugIn Boutique

Postby BillW » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:10 am

I recall several people pointing to huge sales on this site from time to time (including at times as low as $1 for something that normally cost $50 or more).

My question is - how do you learn of these deals? I see you can register on their site - I get a lot of junk mail as it is but if every now and then I learn of some fantastic deal here it would be worth it.

Or is it just a matter of regularly checking their website?

I'm looking for a better string VSTi than the free ones I have - and I see by searching this plugin board that Sonivox Orchestral Companion is well reviewed. I wouldn't mind spending the $60 it lists for now - but since Plugin Boutique offers deep discounts from time to time I may decide to wait for one here.

Bill
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on my Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core) - but I moved it to my "less wimpy" Dell 660S with a Dual Core Pentium.

BillW

Re: PlugIn Boutique

Postby BillW » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:53 am

Speaking of Sonivox...

I see on Plugin Boutique they have the orchestral companion on sale for $100. I may consider it - though it doesn't say which of the 200 percussion instruments it has. I'm looking for tympani.

It also doesn't seem to have a harp - which I'm also looking for. And oddly enough, it does not have a saxophones in the woodwinds (though I realize few if any orchestras actually have saxophones - anyway I have Chris Hein Horns Compact so that's not an issue).

However, I also see a "too good to be true" offer. The Premier Collection Upgrade fro $49. It has several different products including every one in the orchestral companion - plus much more.

To upgrade, it says you have to only own one Sonivox product.

Well, I see the Sonivox Twist on sale for $2. So...?? I can buy that for $2, then register. Then buy the Premier Collection for $49?

Seems too good to be true. (Sales end Oct 1 so I have some time).
Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on my Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core) - but I moved it to my "less wimpy" Dell 660S with a Dual Core Pentium.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:55 am

Hey Bill, I have gotten very good support on questions from PB in the past...….
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

BillW

Postby BillW » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:57 pm

Thanks Mark - I just sent them a message on their support site.

I need a good strings software - and though it doesn't include a harp, I thought of just getting that.

Looking at the Film Score Companion though - not sure it's worth the extra $50 for me. It includes Strings, Woodwinds, Brass, Piano, and percussion - plus they throw in their drumming software.

The brass and woodwinds gives me two instruments I don't have with Chris Hein - French horn and oboe.

Can't tell what's in the percussion set; don't need the drums since I have EZD; not sure the piano software adds anything important that pianissimo doesn't have.

BUT - if I can "score" (pun intended) that whole package with all that and more for $49...

It's probably worth buying that $2 special just to find out.

mixyguy2

Postby mixyguy2 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:53 pm

BillW wrote:I recall several people pointing to huge sales on this site from time to time (including at times as low as $1 for something that normally cost $50 or more).

My question is - how do you learn of these deals?

https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals

This aint hard.

:wink:

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:46 pm

Hey Bill,

Hit the "sign up" button at the top of their page and you'll get regular email updates on the latest deals. Its a pretty good source in my experience. If you can show some self control and restraint!

And P.S. there's no shame in not being a skilled "freeloader."
You know. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

BillW

Postby BillW » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:47 am

mixyguy2 and Mark -
That's exactly what I was asking; do I have to manually check every so often, or will signing up give me email notices.

I will certainly signup. I get stuff from Waves now and a couple other places. Takes about 5 minutes a week to check them all out and decide "delete" or "consider". Almost always "delete" - but you never know...

Thanks

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:54 am

Bill,
I get a weekly list of special offers.
Luckily, I have pretty good self control..... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

mixyguy2

Postby mixyguy2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 pm

Mark Bliss wrote:Hey Bill,

Hit the "sign up" button at the top of their page and you'll get regular email updates on the latest deals. Its a pretty good source in my experience. If you can show some self control and restraint!

And P.S. there's no shame in not being a skilled "freeloader."
You know. 8)

Oh I do know. :) Thanks, but I actually prefer to just go out once in awhile and browse. Self-control isn't an issue for me as I already have more plugin crap than I could ever use :roll: and am not ready to do any real recording right now anyway. That said, it's tough to turn down those $1 deals, even if I'm not sure I'll ever have a use for it. How much use do I need to get from it for a buck?

Ian Craig

Postby Ian Craig » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm

BillW wrote:Takes about 5 minutes a week to check them all out and decide "delete" or "consider". Almost always "delete" - but you never know...

Hi Bill,

I personally have no self control and have had plugin boutique as one of my Chrome start-up pages for the last year and a half. If you buy stuff off them it gets listed in your account, 5 purchases per page, unfortunately that means I've now got 33 pages of purchases. Things drop in price periodically. Some have flash 48 hour sales of a specific product, so it helps if you check every couple of days. As for the Sonivox and Air Music Premier collection, there is a vast amount of stuff in there. The Orchestral stuff by Sonivox is really quite effective for some things AS LONG AS YOU REMEMBER TO TURN ON THE REVERB, 'cause if you don't (like most orchestral libraries) they can sound a bit shite. I got the Orchestral Companion Strings for £1 and upgraded a year and a half ago, after I wrote this short thing (39 seconds edit) I barely used it https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/track/fi ... nuary-2017 (I hail from a time, twenty years ago, when I could load 13 layers into a soundfont patch so I use the Garritan Aria Player now as it gives me 16 layers at a time). :)
Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio Build 413 (64bit)
Intel Xeon Six Core 2.67 GHz, 16GB RAM, Windows 8.1
Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (1st Gen, USB2)
(I'm 51 :shock: )
https://iancraig1.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Plugins, Plugins, Plugins!”