Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Peculiar Spike in CPU

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

Mythman01

Peculiar Spike in CPU

Postby Mythman01 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm

Hello!
So, I am getting a huge CPU spike in one particular section of one particular song, which is causing playback to slow down in the extreme, popping/crackling audio, and Mixcraft becomes incredibly slow to respond. I have never had any other issues like this before on previous songs.

Furthermore, I had no issues with this specific song before; it was working fine previously, and then one day, I opened up the file and noticed this issue out of the blue. Other songs still work fine, and older saved versions of this song still work fine.

The thing that really stumps me is this: the part the CPU spikes at is very peculiar.

The song has lots of tracks running at the beginning and at the end, and those sections run just fine. In the middle of the song, there is about a 30-second section where it drops down to only a few tracks running, and THAT is where the CPU spikes like crazy. As soon as more tracks start entering the mix, the CPU load drops back down, and it runs fine until the end of the song.

When this problem section arrives, CPU usage rapidly climbs into the 90s%, sometimes hitting 100%. Task manager shows this as well.

I know there are all kinds of things you can do to optimize your PC for DAWs, but I don’t think this is a simple case of “You have too many things running at once”, because the problem is localized to one section of one song, where there are only a few tracks running.

I am running this all on Mixcraft 6, if that’s relevant.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much,
Jacob

Acoustica Greg

Re: Peculiar Spike in CPU

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi,

What tracks are active in that section of the project? What plugins are being used on those particular tracks when the CPU spikes? Some plugins are bigger CPU hogs than others.

Have you considered upgrading to Mixcraft 8? We're having a fantastic upgrade sale right now. $29 to go all the way to Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio.

You might have less problems with Mixcraft 8.

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:09 pm

HI again,

You could try soloing tracks to narrow down the problem.

Greg

Mythman01

Postby Mythman01 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:41 am

Hey Greg,
Thanks for the response. The tracks just have Acoustica EQ and Acoustica Reverb, nothing else.

I tried your idea of soloing tracks to narrow down the problem, but I couldn’t find any particular track that is the culprit.

I did find something interesting, however: there are other moments of this song that have only a few tracks running, and the CPU and System load are really high at those moments as well (into the upper 80%), though not enough to cause slow-down and clipping issues.

My question to you is, is there something that could be having a problem running on empty space? Because it seems like the more tracks I have with nothing playing, the higher the load on the CPU.

Are you aware of anything that could account for this?

Thanks again for your help!
Jacob

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:53 am

Hi,

Those plugins wouldn't pose a problem.

Newer versions of Mixcraft are more optimized than Mixcraft 6, you might try loading the project into Mixcraft 8.

You could also send us your log file. Wait until the problem happens again, then quit Mixcraft and send us the mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\

Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg

Return to “Mixcraft”