Acoustica - Software should be easy to use

Is The Song Dead?

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric

TheHound

Is The Song Dead?

Postby TheHound » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:52 am

Song have been around for centuries. From the madrigal, to the broadside ballad, to the folk songs, to the blues, to the torch song, to the rock ballad, to the reggae song to R&B, to doo wop etc....

When I watch shows like the Voice most of the songs that wow people are songs older than the contestants singing them. It's depressing. Young people are capable of writing good songs and they are hearing good songs from the past.

I think if a hear another fake snare and kick drum I'll puke. And it is the same fake kick and snare.

When was the last time you heard a new song in a time signature other than 4/4?

Does anyone other than Kanye West think he's a genius?

outteh

Re: Is The Song Dead?

Postby outteh » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:32 am

:D :D :D :D :D

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:59 am

I think it was Keith Richards who said “Kanye West, never heard of her”, lol. :wink:
- Joe -
MX 8.1 Pro, Build 418, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, D35, stomp boxes and a lot of microphones, etc.

freightgod

Postby freightgod » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

TheHound wrote:Does anyone other than Kanye West think he's a genius?

Sure, I think I'm a genius!

Acoustica Greg

Postby Acoustica Greg » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:40 pm

Hi,

There are plenty of good songs being made, you just might not hear it in pop music.

Greg
Mixcraft 8 - The Musician's DAW
Give it a try here: http://acoustica.com/mixcraft/
Check out our Mixcraft University video tutorials.

bigaquarium

Postby bigaquarium » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 am

Last edited by bigaquarium on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:43 am

I have observed that the majority listens to whatever mindless babble the marketing types feed them, while the discerning few are more likely to seek the alternative, indie, or perhaps, "roll their own" or stick to some favorite classics, etc.
I frequently marvel at the crap people listen to, concluding they just dont really care.
So if you are listening to the mainstream and complaining about it.... I would wonder why? As Greg alludes to, perhaps your looking in the wrong place.

The real question is, what audience do you create for? Do they care or just play "whatever"?
I'd suggest the odds are you care more than they do....
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

Melodia

Postby Melodia » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:41 pm

jlouvar wrote:I think it was Keith Richards who said “Kanye West, never heard of her”, lol. :wink:

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Happy Fish Rule!!!
Attachments
Happy Fish Rule.jpeg
Happy Fish Rule.jpeg (23.83 KiB) Viewed 790 times
- Joe -
MX 8.1 Pro, Build 418, 64-bit. i5, 1.80GHz, 8GB, Windows 10. Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Event and PreSonus monitors, Sony MDR-7506, Korg TR61, Akai MPK249, Fender P & J basses, Ric, Strat, D35, stomp boxes and a lot of microphones, etc.

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Its usually a real challenge to qualify for dumb post of the week this early....
But I think we have a strong contender. :roll:

Lets see:
Not funny.
Not witty.
Not smart.
Doesnt remotely add to the conversation.....

Yep. Gets my vote! 8)

Melodia, new folks are always welcome here, but thats a bad start.

Interesting coincidence though, Melodia joined the forum exactly one hour short of exactly six years after Joe!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:56 pm

Mark Bliss wrote:Interesting coincidence though, Melodia joined the forum exactly one hour short of exactly six years after Joe!

Hmm, 52559 hours… Must be my sister from another mother? The song isn't dead, but the music industry and distribution has dramatically changed.

BTW: I'm liking what Fansang is doing.
Mountains of Doubt: https://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewto ... 10&t=24832 Listen to the SoundCloud link.
- Joe -

Melodia

Postby Melodia » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:18 pm

Mark Bliss wrote:Lets see:
Not funny.

How's that not funny? It was on South Park

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Mark, I thought what Keith Richards said was funny... However if it offended you, I truly apologize.
- Joe -

Mark Bliss

Postby Mark Bliss » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:13 am

Nope, not at all.
Personally I did find that funny. KW is symbolic of the worst kinds of celebrity persona IMO and probably deserves all the jokes people could pile on him.
I dont know him, and probably shouldnt judge him personally, but yet despise the entire part of the population his character represents. Musical genius? I dont think so, but some apparently do. He apparently does. So that part?
Funny! And on topic.
And Keith Richards response is classic Keith Richards. And real.
Funny! And on topic.

On the other hand, the "South Park humor"? Not so much. Based on what little bits of it I have seen, this is typical. Immature at best and not funny. Off color and here, off topic.
Lets put it this way. Disparaging an entire group of the population at KW's expense crosses a line.
People I know and care very much about could be fish. Or possibly gay. Why is it even a little funny to slight them when mocking an apparent idiot like KW?
To me, it is not. Some people need to "wake up" and grow up, and I believe some people need to point it out when is occurs.
Just an opinion of a cranky old fart. Take it for what it is. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

jlouvar

Postby jlouvar » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:31 am

I don’t relate to South Park either and I agree, however my kids watch it so I don’t think any harm was intended, just a younger generation of humor.

Anyway thank you. 8)
- Joe -

Return to “General Music Topics”