Some demos and a help request

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

freightgod

Some demos and a help request

Post by freightgod »

Not sure how many folks read all the posts from other subforums. I have a serious plea at this link:

http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... 23&t=16993

regarding an original project I'm working on, some of the songs for which I've put up here:

https://soundcloud.com/unknownartist-14

I'd appreciate a listen! Thanks, guys. Loving Mixcraft 7!
M@rkus

Re: Some demos and a help request

Post by M@rkus »

Hi, freightgod!

I´ve listened through all your songs, and I´m deeply impressed! I can´t imagine how much work you have put into this!
If Ron Sexsmith had recorded these songs, they would have been serious succesful!

You´ve got a really good voice, and your mixing is exellent! I can´t find anything I would change. Panning is good, harmonies, strings everything sits where it should.

This is the way I wish my songs would have sounded!

I have only two comments.

Track 2 uses a double bass, right? It´s a bit more prominent compared to the other bass tracks (where you use electric bass?)
Now, this is just a reflection, I don´t think it´s necessary to change, it´s just different settings due to different songs/setups.

Do you use midi drums (sometimes it´s hard to hear if it´s acoustic live drums or otherwise)? They sound really good. I just wonder how your music would have sounded with live acoustic drums.

Anyway, your music could be hugely successful If you get the right backup!

Ron Sexmith will be very jelous, I think :D
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Thanks Markus, those are some really kind words.

Yes, "Best Friend" doubles '80's fretless' and 'EVM Bassline' from mixcraft. I liked the growl they give together.

Yes, the drums are midi only, I have no skills in the percussion department. I don't always use percussion but when I do it takes me forever and I'm never confident with the finished product. I would love to hear what acoustic drums would sound like with some of my songs, too.

Funny, I've never heard of Ron Sexsmith but having done a quick Youtube search I can definitely hear the similarity. I have to make sure NOT to listen to any more of him until I'm finished with this project or I will start stealing for sure! I'm super derivative.

I am kind of happy with the arrangements and even the mixing, maybe my main concern should be mastering? My hearing is not totally shot, especially when I wear my hearing aids, ha, but I don't even bother mixing to monitors because I know that would be a waste.

I really like your stuff. I have to say I am not a blues fan, but I like the way you play, it's very understated, if that makes any sense. I am not much of a guitarist at all, just got my 6 chords down and strum away. Are your drums midi or do you play, because I think they're very well done. I Dinn Famn is stunning, by the way.
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

I´m glad you liked "I Din Famn"! And thanks for your kind words on my "minimalistic" guitar approach!
And yes, I use midi drums! There are some really good freebies out there, that I use! (http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/06 ... full-kits/)

Yes, I think the only thing that might add anything to your music is in the mastering process. I don´t know what a professional studio could do in such a process, but I guess it´s a matter of taste. Perhaps they could add some kind of "sheen" to your music to make it more radio friendly, I don´t know.

Anyway, I wish you success, and it would be interesting to follow the process to finished product!
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

I enjoyed your lyrics so much I was thinking what this would all look like on stage for a unique and wonderful musical.

December and June :!:
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Thanks, AHornsby, my wife says she can envision two music doll figures dancing around each other, almost but not quite meeting...wants me to make a music video like that. I would love to do a stage musical. Your comment is very encouraging! And kind.
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Do I have to join Soundcloud to hear your material? Your links lead me to your page but it says you aren't sharing anything.
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

Hi FG,
Your voice sounds very familiar, I had to exercise my memory cells to find where from. When I listened to 'A Heart Full of Hope', it finally dawned on me .. Listen to the voice in this ..
http://youtu.be/Qyp5BltRHu4

You have some great sounding tracks there, my friend. Well done :)

CRAZY6STRINGS - It is well worth joining Soundcloud as there is a wealth of great music to listen to ... and it's free ;)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I think i had a flashback lol

Thanks for the kind words. I spent a lot of time on your YouTube channel last night, you sure can twang that thang!
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

FG,

I thoroughly enjoyed your songs on the cloud. I was totally blown away by December and June. Great arrangement and recording.

I love how your voice floated nicely above the mix. I'd like to do that but with my voice, I tend to either bury it a little, or double it....

Thanks for sharing those with me..

I am enjoying the forum...I've come into it a few times but...I am liking it so much that I hope to become a regular...
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

I sent you a PM, you should join the Insanonauts. Hey, not a bad name for a virtual band.