Wolf is waiting with scatch vox

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mab098157

Wolf is waiting with scatch vox

Post by Mab098157 »

Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Re: Wolf is waiting with scatch vox

Post by Mark Bliss »

No comments? I'm surprised.
I'll break the ice. (Intended as constructive!)
First let me say I think there is some interesting stuff going on here, but perhaps it doesnt necessarily all work together. The piano and one of the guitar tracks are a little too weird to be placed together throughout IMO. And the snare sound needs to be hauled out back and beaten until it can never return. :lol:
But the vocal, a scratch? Best part of the project. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks for the feedback Mark.
I am a little confused regarding your comment on the snare? You don't like the sound or is it too hot in the mix?
As far as the vocal, I have some changes in the lyric that need to be rerecorded and the vox timing n the bridge needs to be tightened up. Thank you for the positive feedback.
Overall mix good? Really think I have made some progress in removing mud in this song from previous attempts using some of the techniques learned from Recording Revolution.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

The feedback came across as snarky, sorry, but sometimes I need to just be blunt. Dont take it personally. My intention by replying at all is to hopefully be helpful. And since I don't know what exactly you are going for here, its hard to judge beyond more or less giving an opinion on what I would do differently.

The snare doesn't fit, sound wise. It may be a little loud in the mix, just a matter of taste, but who could tell with that (sample I assume?) I am just not feeling it. Sounded to me like a trash can lid or something worse. But again, maybe thats what you wanted!

My impression of some of the guitar sounds is that sometimes someone is forming chords, and just "rubbing" the strings or something. Which by itself might have a cool background pad effect, but combined with the piano part which sounds at times like someone is using one finger to randomly stab a note here and there.....
Sorry, the arrangement is just coming off weird to me, and its a shame because I think there is big potential if you clean up the arrangement and tighten up some timing issues...... Maybe its just me, and maybe you are going for something unusual. Maybe I am too much of a traditionalist sometimes, I dont know. Maybe its fine. Personally I think I would simplify and re-evaluate.

Sorry to come off so negative, but I wouldn't bother commenting if I didn't think the song had potential and was worth the work to get a lot better!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Mark I did not feel your feedback was snarky, just wanted clarity. Nothing taken personally. We all have different taste. My reference for this was Chris Whitley's work on his album "Din" And is intended to be a pop format with edginess to transmit the insanity in the lyrical journey.

I do agree I can bring back the snare, but the hashness of the sound is also intended.

Thanks again for the feedback and the encouragment.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

OK! Never heard of him, so I went and studied a few sample songs. Have a better understanding of what you were going for.
For what its worth, I think the vocal sound you got is better than anything I heard of his. You'd have to screw it up to make it sound more like his work. I don't know his story or origins, but the style is distorted and grungy any way you look at it.
Even so, a snare sample that sounds more like a snare drum, and then distorted and saturated might better fit the goal. And it sounds like some more distortion and overdrive on everything else might get you closer too, but honestly, I think that vocal recording deserves better.

Its a stylistic choice.

And just an opinion..... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
thevolumecontrol

Post by thevolumecontrol »

overall, the song is very good. guitar and piano work just fine for me. vocals sound great. however, we need to talk about the drums.

i'd dial that hi hat back. maybe go for something more swampy sounding to fit the rest of the arrangement. i'd recommend a more minimal approach in the programming. hell, even a stomp-clap would work really well. in its current state, it proves to be a bit distracting.

aside from the drums, its great. hope that helps.

-adam
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Thanks for the feedback, especially related to vox. It's only been recently that I have felt comfortable enough to place them more upfront in the mix. A little crazy considering I've been a vocalist in many groups. :roll:

I'll play with drums and lay down final vocals soon.

With what I've learned in the last several months I'm looking back at all the unfinished stuff recorded prior to; tube preamp, lessons learned, etc and reworking all of them. But now I want to get something finished (in theory).

This one is close? :?:
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

Not sure how I missed this one. I love the style of this song. The message, the feel, and the delivery where great. But the drums put me off (I have to laugh because I am not saying anything new!). Otherwise, I really liked it.
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

thanks Benhal9. I was looking for your input. Was going to hit you up on message. Thanks for your feedback, and I am still retooling the drums based on the comments.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

Mab098157 wrote:thanks Benhal9. I was looking for your input. Was going to hit you up on message. Thanks for your feedback, and I am still retooling the drums based on the comments.

Since you put it that way... I honestly love this tune. But the drums and shakers are too hot. I get where you going with beat, but it feel more off than behind. I expect you where going for the single mic low end drum kit, and I think you should stay with that. As for the rest of it... DON'T CHANGE A THING!
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

About to put this out in social media. Any last opinions... glaring issues, pops, noise, etc. My ears may be deceiving me?

https://soundcloud.com/mark-bowie/the-wolf-is-waiting
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

My critique hasnt changed much. good vocal performance, great sonic palette.
But I accept that I just "dont get it" Still hate the snare, both the sample and the rhythm. If you want to call it that.
I'd even accept the snare sound if it had a beat that even remotely made sense to my ear. That and a piano part that was a little melodic to go with that.
Yeah, I dont get it, but thats cool. Some great sounds there and the song is worth doing something slightly more conventional IMO.
What do you call this genre? Someone was discussing with me, the evolution of music styles through the last century and described an offshoot of several other styles from a few years ago, something called "Dark Wave" that kind of matches this in some ways.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Mark thanks again for your comments, always appreciated. It's cool if you "don't get it".

I started writing this on acoustic in open g driving thru Tennessee. Originally I heard it as maybe just guitar, vox and foot stomp. Then felt like maybe a “swampy” thing like Tony Joe White ( hoodoo now). I typically grab a drum loop from the library and copy it out for 5-6 mins just to work on the structure and arraignment. Found loop drum 1 in southern rock and it took me somewhere else. From there the song just organically grew. From that point I no longer had a genre in mind, just what came out.

Several influences in my choices; snare and drum rhythm from the roots, heavy Chris Whitley guitar feel, piano from Police “every breath you take”, etc. Lead guitar is more determined by my skill, felt that overly effected sound hid my limitations. After many listens I can see the “dark wave” or Cure like feel.

My main goal was to have a lot of little nuggets that you don’t hear until after multiple listens, capture your attention in the first 30, and have the arraignment dynamic. I have lived with this song for a while, and need to get over the final hurdle and move on to the next. Getting only a couple hours a week has been frustrating. And I have many more in the queue to work on. I am planning to revisit this down the road and strip it down, but I got to move on.
The blogs from Recording Revolution have been extremely beneficial and the improvement in this songs as the others has been dramatic. Graham’s blog http://therecordingrevolution.com/2014/ ... -share-it/ has motivated me to get this finished and out.

Thanks again and if you don’t like this one you’ll hate the next one too. But there is more to come. Some I dare say are straight up rock, pop, country and blues. I can send you private link to next “work in progress” (God’s live on TV) if you’re interested?
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Didnt say I hate it........

Just trying to understand the intent a bit, and such. Not trying to change what you do, if that's what you are going for, etc.

Expressing your appreciation for "Swamp" explains some things, but raises further questions and therefore comments for me. I happen to be a big fan of Swamp, Bayou stomp, Primitive Blues, Etc. Etc. And further, I build Cigar box guitars and home made instruments. In all kinds of odd and varies styles. Home made sounds and jug band music is part of what brings me back to earth. Side interest right now, not related to what I have shared here.

So OK, that explains the Snare sample somewhat, I get that now. I have a tin Chinese checkers game set with marbles stored inside. Makes a cool alternative snare. Harsh but it works. But..... In the context of other rudimentary instruments, not so much with music made with otherwise traditional much less "modern" instruments.

And here's the thing that throws me the most. To me, what is the most driving force of Swamp/Stomp? The foot stomping driving rhythm. Downbeat. Perhaps accents on the backbeat. Music that makes people move. BOOM chuck BOOM chuck........

Listening to your project not only does not make me tap my foot but makes me stop and think too hard. My brain is shifting gears and asking "wheres the count?" If thats what you are going for, cool, but if not, my suggestion would be to simplify. Get back to the count and rhythm.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page