My first try

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rik

My first try

Post by Rik »

http://mixcraftlive.com/index.php?t=pop ... ng_id=6108

If anyone has an opinion, idea or critisism I'd like to see what you have to say.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol:
fredfish

Re: My first try

Post by fredfish »

Not normaly my thing - but do you know what I kinda like it! It is quite repetative, but I think that is the style. I am curious as to your workflow? Loops, samples - I assume that the vocals are you?

The whole thing fells (to my ears) pretty well balanced - I like the times when the vocals blend in to the background (I don't mean that I don't like the vocals :D just that I like the different volumes, it adds interest).

I look forward to hearing more!

Cheers

John
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Rik, same as John. Not my cup of tea, but solid first effort. Also curious about your workflow. I might suggest that you put this out in a facebook group I am aware of "bands & musicians, hosting". This group started out as an Mixcraft user group, but have morphed a few times. Your style of music is most often posted there and would seem to be a good audience for your work.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
Rik

Post by Rik »

Thanks for the replies guys, it's not really my kind of music either, I am a metal head.

The vocals were done by a very good friend of mine. I started with just the drum beat then got him to rap to it. The only bits that are me are the "sub" then the laugh at the end as I am completely unable to sing.

By workflow I assume you mean how it was all put together?
If so, once I had the drum beat down and the vocals recorded (which was recorded with the built in mic on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop in my local SubWay which my friend doing the vocals is the manager of). I find my 1720 to be a very good machine for recording with as it's newly refurbished fan makes almost no noise, even when at full speed (BMW fully synthetic engine oil in the fans bearing has made all the difference).
We both listened to a few bass and lead synth samples and decided which ones we liked and I then added them to the track which was just 26 seconds long at that point.

I then spent a few evenings listening to it over and over and added more and more to it.

The mix you heard was mix number 4, the prevoius mixes were shorter.

My next project is going to be quite a lot heavier with me playing guitar on it. I have a very rare Gibson Explorer lead guitar which I will be using. I am currently in the process of experimenting with various different recording methods to get the sound I want. Guitar Rig has made some very nice sounds that I like as has recording my Marshall mini practice amp with my laptops built in mic.
It's going to take some practice playing at the correct tempo's before I record anything. I also need to find some suitable drum samples. I have another friend who can play bass and sing offer me his help.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Rik wrote: I also need to find some suitable drum samples.
Just as a starting point have a look here. http://groovemonkee.com/pages/free-midi-loops You can download the free GM loops. If you have Mixcraft pro you can then use these loops to trigger the Studio Drums (which includes a Metal kit).

As these are MIDI loops you can tweak them to your liking.

Good luck - interested to hear the result.

Cheers

John
Rik

Post by Rik »

Thanks for the info on the drum samples. There are a few beats that have got me thinking.
Only problem is MixCraft tells me that they are in an unsupported format (I did unzip them before trying).
Rik

Post by Rik »

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

I didn't get to preview your MC Live work because I don't have Flash Player but, from what I did hear, your mode seems a bit formulaic... which isn't a bad thing as long as some variety is there, e.g., your Mellowish tune could be used very effectively as a backdrop to a video about surfing, skydiving, power-boating, football highlights, etc.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

AHornsby wrote:I didn't get to preview your MC Live work because I don't have Flash Player but, from what I did hear, your mode seems a bit formulaic... which isn't a bad thing as long as some variety is there, e.g., your Mellowish tune could be used very effectively as a backdrop to a video about surfing, skydiving, power-boating, football highlights, etc.
As an example you might try muting this video while playing Mellowish...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArKFke-Zhqo

-h