Some Constructive Criticism Much Appreciated! :D

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jddrock

Some Constructive Criticism Much Appreciated! :D

Post by jddrock »

Hey there!
I have been practicing mixing for the last 3-4 years. I am foremost a musician but started dabbling in recording at home a few years back. My church needed someone to make some songs tailored for the various dramas we do, and I was the guy for the job since I play multiple intruments. Anyways, to make a long story short I have been trying to learn as much about mixing(and now starting to get a little more training and intruction in mastering) as I can, especially for the last year. I have friends who have heard my music but few of them have any experience in mixing. It's great to get opinions from those who know little about audio, but if you have a few minutes, I would like your opinion/criticism/thoughts/suggestions on how to make this a better mix. I recorded and mixed this track back in Febuary and March of this year. Recently I wanted to take a look at this song again and touch it up with a few things I've learned since then to make it better. If you hear differences in the mixes where certain qualities of each are better, please share them. Here are both versions of the song(it's a cover, not original). I'm not sure what genre you would call this, but its not your typical pop song or anything like that. Please don't be shy in your feedback! I would really like to know what I should be working on so that I continually improve(not just in mixing but in playing, singing, etc... anything!). Thanks in advance! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me - Jeremy
1st Mix: http://picosong.com/Qd3u/
2nd Mix: http://picosong.com/Qd3h/
AHornsby

Re: Some Constructive Criticism Much Appreciated! :D

Post by AHornsby »

I wouldn't have any problems playing either version in public. Both are compelling in their own way and both were entertaining.

If you do play them in a small building then some added reverb can really open up the audience's perceptions of their environment. -h
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

Thanks a lot AHornsby! I used to put too much reverb on ALL my mixes a few years back when I first got into it, so I'm learning how to use reverb tastefully to enhance the song and not become the star of the show. :) But I may tweak the reverb a little in spots. I felt like the claps in the last chorus may need a little reverb before, but I didn't want to mess the mix up. Maybe I'll go back to that....
midimoose

Post by midimoose »

Hi Jeremy,

I agree with Ahornsby-- both these mixes sound good to me, with the 2nd having a much fuller overall sound. Very good instrumental mix, and you have a good voice! Maybe some vocal harmonies in places would sound great. Nice work :D Rick.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time." Albert Einstein
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

Thanks Rick! I appreciate the encouragement and suggestions. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'd say well done Jeremy!

The difference is subtle, but that's good mixing, when you start to get the subtle things....
The second is more balanced, and all around more refined. In the first I felt some percussion parts were a touch too loud, and the vocal at moments hid a bit. The second is better in both areas.
The song is fun and interesting, with lots of little details and "bright spots." Love the cool use of Pizzicato strings by the way!

I think the vocal could be pushed forward just a touch overall, and there's moments when the music swells and the vocal starts to get swamped just a little. And its really a matter of taste, but I feel the vocal effect starting at about 1:30 - 2:00 is just a little over the top, might be better tamed a touch IMO.

Really nice work!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

Thanks Mr. Mark! I appreciate the encouragement and the suggestions. :D Yeah, the vocal has been probably the trickeist part of this mix so far. I knew that the weird reverb swells on the vocal and everything else at 1:30 would raise a few eyebrows, but hey, I guess it's ok if not everybody likes it. Some have and some haven't so far. I actually worked on taming it down a bit before at someone else's suggestion a few days ago, but whenever I did, I always felt like the section was lacking something. Whenever I've messed with that part I've ended up liking my original idea there better. But that's why art is so cool! It doesn't all look the same.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Thats right!
Just a suggestion, but if you feel the urge to mess with that again, instead of just reducing the effect maybe try experimenting with blending in some unprocessed vocal with the processed vocal. Might have a neat result.

Its good work though, and the fact that you had fun with it shows in the results. And THAT'S what really matters. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page