Production fun, but the song could be better

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

msnickybee

Production fun, but the song could be better

Post by msnickybee »

I'm posting this here, well, just to share how hard it is...but also how rewarding and FUN it is to work on our own compositions and our own production.....
Using Mixcraft of course.

So, for this one, my focus was on a DI acoustic sound, playing a real bass for the first time, and some double tracking from multiple takes. I also quite like the "treblecream" VST for this, and I quite like that old fav Blockfish on guitars.

Also, I (over) indulged my love of synths, and you know, the synths, the guitar, the sound effects, they all fight for a hook that doesn't quite materialise I think. Slight timing errors, and a difficult mix means that you sometimes don't know where to listen.
But ultimately, the song with its verse-bridge-verse-bridge format just isn't melodic enough.
I'm trying to write more songs now that develop the vocal melody *first*, unlike this one which was written with synth and bass first, at the mixing desk.

But, my last point is that it's fun. And these are the challenges! I love Mixcraft, and I love how I can break the rules, sit down at the computer with *nothing*, and come up with something...even if it's this. I think this method for me weakens the melody, because I'm a guitar player first I guess, and used to write song on an acoustic, and then without £10k of preamps and mics, fail.... so it's all a compromise, innit.

So here you go, it's on YouTube:

Haunting me

:)
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Mab098157

Re: Production fun, but the song could be better

Post by Mab098157 »

Good tune. Well produced. Full field sound. Understand the apprehension in trying a new approach, keep challenging yourself.

I will have to look at the video service (rotor), seems interesting. Is it pretty limited? Too bad you can't a least diminish the site logo some.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
aj113

Post by aj113 »

You do yourself an injustice.

Sure, it's a bit rough around the edges but you're certainly on the right road IMO.

In terms of vocal melody, it's not boring per se - and it's well sung, which always a good thing - it just needs a 'big' chorus. Everything seems to be leading to 'the big one' and then - nothing.

Otherwise, it's a good effort.

And you're dead right, the wonder of what we do is that at first, there is nothing, then we actually create something of substance. Out of nothing. I never cease to marvel at that.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

msnickybee wrote: and then without £10k of preamps and mics, fail.... so it's all a compromise, innit.
Even our own interpretations of what we hear (and listen to) is a compromise and no amount of funding could change that. -h