....and now for something completely different

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chibear

....and now for something completely different

Post by chibear »

This is probably the strangest thing I'll ever write.

Backstory: I teach TaiChi at the local senior center. We always do a set to music at the end of the class. One of my students said to me "You write music. How about you write a piece for us to do TaiChi to so that I'll know where I am in the set by the music that's playing?" So after several different approaches and many themes put in the box-o-themes, after about 3 years it finally came together as an ambient piece.

If you're interested in the structure, It is composed in 109 sections. 108 for the TaiChi set and 1 for the minute of 'tree-hugging' qigong at the end. Each movement has it's own motive (some are repeated several times), some motives, only consisting of a chord change (consistently related to the chord before), others small periods. When several movements were tied together I was able to introduce a few primitive tunes. So the movements of the TaiChi set dictated the order of the piece and then it had to flow like the TaiChi set.

The whole tune/exercise/meditation is slightly over 20 minutes long. If you last through it you will be enlightened :roll: My wife fondly refers to it as 'that irritating music' :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN-QFp1 ... e=youtu.be
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
AHornsby

Re: ....and now for something completely different

Post by AHornsby »

Great music! Did you do the composition after the video?

I have to admit that tai-chi isn't my thing. Sittin' on the zero-turn drinking some home brew is more like it.

-h
chibear

Post by chibear »

Thanks! Yes I loaded the video into Mixcraft and created a soundtrack for it. People are either drawn to TaiChi...or not. One of the other seniors at the center described our class as "as exciting as watching grass grow" :lol:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Can we share this on social media?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
chibear

Post by chibear »

Sure. I'm honored you would want to. As you can see the video is not the best quality, but was only meant as a template for me to work from.
Soundcloud YouTube
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

You might be on to something because the wife asked if I could give her the link for her tai-chi class at the local library... h
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I think the composing is great, and obviously done with great care Clyde. I normally shun most "ambient" pieces, but this is done with an intent and purpose, and I think it worked out pretty cool!
The combination of the music and graceful moves is almost otherworldly too......

I would be of the opinion that some better quality video, shot from an improved angle and location, and you have yourself a nice lesson video.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
chibear

Post by chibear »

Thanks guys! I have to confess I did not expect this warm of a reception for the piece considering the length, subject matter and choice of instruments. Also surprisingly my class loves it even though it forces them into a very restricted box timing-wise. They already want me to do another one :shock:

We have discussed redoing the video, especially since we have better video recording equipment and more memory since that video was shot. Consensus is to let people get used to the recording over the holidays and then reshoot to the music until we get a reasonable take.

@AH: don't know how the video will work with other styles of TaiChi. Our style has evolved to become pretty non-traditional and idiosyncratic (the video was not a very good example of our style and several changes have been made since then). My class is constantly after me to either write an ebook or produce some videos on the how and why we are where we are at now......before I check out, so on the list :D
Soundcloud YouTube
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Nicely done! Reminds me a bit of the 80ies/90ies electronical music era ...
benhal9

Post by benhal9 »

You already know what I am going to say... it needs more guitar! Other than that, I am a huge fan of new age music. I loved how this was done. When you couple it with a direct intent and purpose, it is in effect a perfect soundtrack for the situation.