New Approach..Feedback wanted

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RobertAllan

New Approach..Feedback wanted

Post by RobertAllan »

So..Heres another first for me. A new approach to just about everything with this song really.
Hoping someone is intrested i will start at the beginning.

On Monday i had this song-like thing in my head. Every second i was to myself i ended up humming.
I figured it was a song i had listened to that got stuck and didnt think much more of it. Then on Tuesdag while at
work same thing, and i was by that point sure it wasnt something i had heard. I snuck of and recorded everything on my phone using the tape-recorder-ish function. It was esssentially 4 different parts, but for whatever reason they felt like they were part of the same thing. When i got home on Tuesday i started recording. Now of course everyone has different experiences with inspiration, and some sure are far more intresting then mine, but the "first" for me here being..
A) It was 4 very different parts (allthough i felt like they belonged together) so i recorded everything part by part
(meaning i finished one part totally before i started on the next part, all instrumentation etc..)
This also meant as i felt they belonged together i felt like i had to make quite clever mixing choices so they flowed together seamingly.

B) I hummed the phrase "Someone has covered the lights" while recording it on my phone, and as i felt like i had to stay "true" to the inspiration i decided to write a song around it. Finished the lyrics last night. Recorded and mixed/mastered today before work.

Any feedback is welcome here really..Mixing, song structure etc.. etc..

Hope you take a few seconds

*Also still havnt learned pitch-correction so everything vocally is as is..so bare with me :) *

https://soundcloud.com/robertallanoffic ... -about-you

RobertAllan
M@rkus

Re: New Approach..Feedback wanted

Post by M@rkus »

Hi, Robert!

Interesting to read about the workflow! It´s a bit like how I work aswell. I think the different parts fits together well. A little bit Beatles-vibes at the end?

I really don´t like commenting on others work, because they clearly have something in mind that they want to express, and it´s up to me if I get it or not. It´s a little bit like telling Picasso; "You should have used a little more blue there. And that nose is far to pointy!" I mean, what do I know, really?

But, since you asked for oppinions I give you the few I have. Perhaps the transition-parts could be worked on a little? It feels like there are more potential there! But I understand you recorded this in a bit of a hurry perhaps, and were eager to put the ideas on to tape.

The arrengements and orchestration is fine I think, with some groovy hooks in the background. I think perhaps details could be worked upon a little more to make it even more "streamlined". But this is again only my thoughts, and if you think it´s perfect as it is, then it is perfect!
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Picasso and his blue. He never listened.

Hi Robert, I like what you're doing to me sonically, but you are definitely heading into your White Album phase here :lol:
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Hello Robert. I couldn't get used to the tempo changes and those latencies, e.g., the vocals, drums and guitar... that seemed to interact negatively and drag it all down, but I didn't hear the Beatles as much as I heard the Stones.

No one could convince me that you're not 'hearing' the right things though. Your compositional and songwriting skills are clearly evident and continue to be outstanding.

-h
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

M@rkus wrote:Hi, Robert!

Interesting to read about the workflow! It´s a bit like how I work aswell. I think the different parts fits together well. A little bit Beatles-vibes at the end?
Cool! Honestly my workflow isnt persistent at all. Meaning theres no "this is how it always happens"..Every song/idea is different..
M@rkus wrote:I really don´t like commenting on others work, because they clearly have something in mind that they want to express, and it´s up to me if I get it or not. It´s a little bit like telling Picasso; "You should have used a little more blue there. And that nose is far to pointy!" I mean, what do I know, really?
Sadly im the same way. Meaning i understand and think the same way, BUT i also know that i personally like feedback on certain projects, positive or negative. One thing is the learning curve, for me..well ive been recording and making music solo since mid 2012, but ive only really written SONGS for a year+, and its still something i dont do too often, allthough i know i need practice,lol im a melody-man at heart, but i WANT to be a more all-around artist making good SONGS while still keeping those "quirks" that is me in a nuttshell,lol so to me personally 9/10 times i enjoy reading how others see my "art"..
M@rkus wrote:But, since you asked for oppinions I give you the few I have. Perhaps the transition-parts could be worked on a little? It feels like there are more potential there! But I understand you recorded this in a bit of a hurry perhaps, and were eager to put the ideas on to tape.

The arrengements and orchestration is fine I think, with some groovy hooks in the background. I think perhaps details could be worked upon a little more to make it even more "streamlined". But this is again only my thoughts, and if you think it´s perfect as it is, then it is perfect!
THANKS!!! I did ask :)
I was in a bit of a hurry to record and arrange it yes, not so much in a hurry to post it, but after listening to the final mix a few times i decided "I think this is it.." so decided to share it.
I did actually write and semi-record a few transitions that prolly would have made all over more sense, but after listening to it for a while i scrapped it as it sorta felt like cheating in a weird way,lol
I dont think anything ill ever produce is "perfect", its more about commiting to actually making the descision to leave as is when sorta happy..
Thanks alot M@rkus :)
AHornsby wrote:Hello Robert. I couldn't get used to the tempo changes and those latencies, e.g., the vocals, drums and guitar... that seemed to interact negatively and drag it all down, but I didn't hear the Beatles as much as I heard the Stones.

No one could convince me that you're not 'hearing' the right things though. Your compositional and songwriting skills are clearly evident and continue to be outstanding.

-h
I end up taking this as a compliment :) Means alot AHornsby :) And i totally understand what you mean (if you mean the part where it really gets slowed down with the more melancolic chord progression..) i did write a little transition thing that prolly would have helped, but felt like cheating as i was determined to record/arrange it as i had in my head and on my phone.. Thanks for the comment and for taking a few minutes to check me out :)
freightgod wrote:Picasso and his blue. He never listened.

Hi Robert, I like what you're doing to me sonically, but you are definitely heading into your White Album phase here :lol:
Thanks man :) To be honest im one the few who never really "got" the beatles, so i cant really say for sure if thats a compliment or what,lol but i guess im just trying to get better and writing songs, challenging myself and making "good" music while staying through to the things that i feel is "me". SO "Me but better" is the ultimate goal i guess..lol
Appreciate the time and comment freightgod :)

RobertAllan