Largo Ostinato

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ron in wa

Largo Ostinato

Post by ron in wa »

https://soundcloud.com/user-659082399-3 ... o-ostinato

This piece is my original composition.

I used mixcraft 8 virtual instruments to create this. I tried to get the vibrato right by carefully controlling velocity on each note. For some unexplained reason, some speaker/player combinations are OK and some are glaringly wrong. Feedback would be appreciated on how to improve the strings (without spending $1000 on 3rd party synths). And feedback on other aspects would also be appreciated.

Ron Steingold
AndreasZubaran

Re: Largo Ostinato

Post by AndreasZubaran »

Great job, but i recomend you to use some EQ and focus more on the dynamics, NO ONE plays a long note in a string instrument without some dynamic (unless it have some artistic proposite)

Plus, you could use some free kontak's violin or cello vsts

i use sometimes the Blankus cello (it is amazing for a free vst) and bigcat Ldk1609 violin (also pretty good)

just because its free does not mean it is not good

see this exemple, i done everything with free vsts:

https://soundcloud.com/andros-zubaran/c ... -livre-n-1

And again... FOCUS ON THE DYNAMICS, NO ONE WILL PLAY A CELLO LIKE THIS.

One more thing, its a good ideia to study some harmony or couterpoint, just because you are composing in the computer does not mean you can avoid some basic study of music composition. In my opinion would be great read all arnold schoenberg's books, he talks about the fundaments of composition, harmony, couterpoint... everything
ron in wa

Post by ron in wa »

Thanks for the feedback, Andreas. I'm not sure what you mean by use some EQ- to accomplish or correct what?
AndreasZubaran

Post by AndreasZubaran »

ron in wa wrote:Thanks for the feedback, Andreas. I'm not sure what you mean by use some EQ- to accomplish or correct what?
EQ is used to give the instruments (or any sound as well) the rigth balance between frequencies (low, mid and high)

If you don't use EQ (equalization) in an instrument, it will soud hollow if the low frequencies are to low, and will distort the sound if the low frequencies are to high. The same will happen to other frequencies, but would have diferent results, therefore, any instrument need a diferent configuration of EQ.

Mixcraft have a great EQ called pultronic tube EQ. This plugin is great for any kind of situation (violins, cellos, vocals, synthesizer...)

If you don't know if EQ its a big deal, try this preset in any instrument and you will notice a great change in the sound: pultronic tube EQ, preset HF vitalizer
ron in wa

Post by ron in wa »

As of this writing this board says there have been @250 views of my post, 3 replies. My initial post only includes a link to my piece on soundcloud (and therefore anyone listening to the piece should be included within the soundcloud statistics). Soundcloud says my piece has been listened to 16 times.
I see 2 possible explanations for the large discrepancy between views and plays:
1. the number of views is a phantom, occurring because bots are visiting this board or there is a problem with acoustica's software; or
2. the number of views is accurate and all but a few people who view the post fail to follow the link and actually listen to the piece; or
3. soundcloud's number is wildly inaccurate. (I doubt this last possibility. Activity on soundcloud is closely watched and scrutinized.)

I'm concerned about possibility #2. Do others feel that their posts are viewed but their pieces not listened to?