Covers

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Northfield.Lenox

Covers

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

No tracks to share just a question. Quite a few covers get posted here, do folks upload covers to Soundcloud with permision? I know there's a way to pay before uploading to streaming services like Spotify, but was not sure if Soundcloud licensing was different as there is no monetization.
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Re: Covers

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

Hi,

That's a good question. My next project was actually going to be a cover and I'd not given it much thought so thanks for the heads up. Hopefully, this should clear things up.

https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/ar ... er-version

Also found this which is useful for peeps in the UK...

https://www.openmicuk.co.uk/advice/do-y ... ver-songs/

Chris
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI
outteh

Post by outteh »

Have not had any issues with Soundcloud. As long as your not selling the song or getting any "revenue" from it, most artists don't have an issue. There are tons of cover tunes on YouTube and Soundcloud. :D
Mr.Mxyzptlk

Post by Mr.Mxyzptlk »

I just received this reply from Sony Music:

Hello,

Unless the cover will include any part of the original recording, you do not need Sony Music’s permission. You will only need to seek approval with the publishers (Warner Chappell).

Kind regards,

Tatjana

Tatjana Harrington-Steward | Synch Intern
Sony Music UK

I've emailed Warner Chappell and just awaiting their response now.
i7-10700K 8Core @3.80 GHz, 128GB- 5TB NVMe+3TB SSD (Int) 4TB SSD (Ext)- Samsung 24"x3 Mon- PreSonus Studio 1810c+Eris E5 XT+Atom SQ- Yamaha Montage 7- AKG D5- Win 11 Pro- MX10 Pro- EastWest- Roland Cloud- KORG 4- Spitfire Audio- Heavyocity- 8Dio- NI