Age and Ears

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

comedians

Age and Ears

Post by comedians »

With age comes certain things that no longer work as they should, in my case EARS. Frequencies disappear which means you have to guess.

This is where I ask for help.

50 years ago next month I wrote a song, with a colleague no longer with us. In this lockdown era I thought about recording it again with a little more modern feel. Master tapes long gone so had to start from scratch.

Does this backing track need more highs, air, less/more low etc. Any advice gratefully received.

https://soundcloud.com/rp-davis/any_minute_in_your_life

Thank you.

oh for anyone interested the original is here https://soundcloud.com/rp-davis/any-minute-of-your-life
jwarv

Re: Age and Ears

Post by jwarv »

Very cool. Super nostalgic.

As for your update, it's plenty clear, but for my taste a bit too sharp and thin. I assume those are synth drums and percussion. They could stand some more middle and less treble. Especially the cymbals. Otherwise a solid track.
comedians

Post by comedians »

Thank you very much for your advice, just the sort of thing I needed to be told. Normally run things by a session musician pal in Australia, (much younger) but he's in hospital for 7 weeks on cancer treatment then I thought this is the place to ask.

Yes they are synth drums so difficult when the highs have gone from the ears and I could blame it on standing too close to loud rigs for almost 60 years but it's simply old age.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Glad to help. Just a tip, try to do an A/B comparison with a modern track. It will help you get closer to what you're hearing, trusting that the pro track is correct. Sort of like a hearing ear dog. :lol: