Audio Interface Survey

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

KStech

Re: Audio Interface survey

Post by KStech »

8)
Last edited by KStech on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: :?:
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

I just made the plunge into the world of DAW's and have yet to lock down the major hardware for doing anything really wonderful. What I have been using (pre-DAW) is an LTI Blox laptop interface by Rapco Horizon. It has a 1/8" stereo plug on one end and an XLR male on the other. I have used it to not only interface into a laptop, but to link the laptop to a Soundcraft GB2 console and also as an interface through the output from an acoustic amp into the laptop.
22ndCenturyStudio

Post by 22ndCenturyStudio »

I though it important to mention,that as I have come to discover...some computers/audio interface combos,do not play well with Mixcraft 7.
I believe,that due to my former computer being so under-powered,it created a plethora of issues between my M-Audio M-Track 2 Plus and Mixcraft 7 and the core issue(as it were),was that this combination of devices,generated false error messages.

My former computer,an Acer Aspire AXC-603G-UW13, was absolutely no match for Mixcraft 7,as I realized just how taxing,M7 can be on a PC(especially one that has only 4GB of RAM & only a 2Ghz processor.)
I am now using a Gateway PC with an i5,3Ghz & 8GB of RAM(16GB total),with the upgrade I installed and I could ask for a more stable workstation set up! :D

The reason I mention all this,is that there was some speculation about my audio interface & the possibility of a faulty driver in it,but this turned out to be not the case,at all.

Even on my old PC,my M-Audio interface worked fine within Ableton....so in case anyone has their eye on the very audio interface that I have,be rest assured,that the M-Audio M-Track 2 Plus,is a solid interface & a great value.

On my other PC,I have a Presonus AudioBox 44VSL,which is also a great purchase...but it is twice the price of my M-Audio interface(as it has twice the # of inputs).
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

That looks interesting! I wish the 4 Ch. model had the virtual DSP mixer features. I like the channel strips with EQ and Compression.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

Mark Bliss wrote:That looks interesting! I wish the 4 Ch. model had the virtual DSP mixer features. I like the channel strips with EQ and Compression.
let's just hope it's a better build quality than the Tascam us-1800 which I'm reading is pretty much junk these days.
I would still like to see the meters on the unit itself like the US-2000 had,if for no other reason than to save screen real estate.
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

t.c. electronic desktop Konnekt 6 Firewire Audio Interface / Monitor Control

http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktop-konnekt-6/

Highly recommended, plays nice with everything, pretty flexible.

The only 'complaint' I have is that even when recording at peak levels and can't get a nice waveform in Mixcraft, I have to 'normalize' every track in order to get a decently viewable waveform for editing. I'm used to it, but it's a pain. Very little latency with the Asio driver.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

freightgod wrote:t.c. electronic desktop Konnekt 6 Firewire Audio Interface / Monitor Control

The only 'complaint' I have is that even when recording at peak levels and can't get a nice waveform in Mixcraft, I have to 'normalize' every track in order to get a decently viewable waveform for editing. I'm used to it, but it's a pain. Very little latency with the Asio driver.
why not just stretch the tracks vertically to see the waveform better? :wink:

how much gain are you using on the Konnekt?

is the PAD button always on no matter the instrument or mic?
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

gypsy101 wrote:
freightgod wrote:t.c. electronic desktop Konnekt 6 Firewire Audio Interface / Monitor Control

What is this PAD button of which you speak? How much gain? Ummm, as much as I can without clipping, minus a tad for headroom. You know, don't let the red meanies get you.

And yeah, I still stretch vertically a lot even after normalizing. But now that that feature is available, I often don't have to, so that's a real time saver.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

freightgod wrote:
gypsy101 wrote:

What is this PAD button of which you speak? How much gain? Ummm, as much as I can without clipping, minus a tad for headroom. You know, don't let the red meanies get you.

And yeah, I still stretch vertically a lot even after normalizing. But now that that feature is available, I often don't have to, so that's a real time saver.
pad button (alson known as an attenuator switch on a D.I.) knocks too hot signals down -10 or -20db depending on the unit.

I don't see that on yours but I do see input/pre/post metering options so maybe you have one set too low.

the waveform should look like the top or middle ones in this pic.
(I was experimenting to show levels @ unity,-'10db, & -20db attenuation on a D.I.'s PAD switch.)
freightgod

Post by freightgod »

Worth checking, but input/pre/post is just for metering, doesn't affect output. And I've got a 12db boost enabled in the software controller :)

Like I say, it's just one of those things...it's a great interface.
jlouvar

Re: Audio Interface Survey

Post by jlouvar »

I recently upgraded from a 1st gen Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to a 2nd gen 2i4, and I love it. The 2nd gen interfaces are much better than the 1 gen, and the headphone output volume is much louder too. The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is a nice little audio interface, and IMO much better than the 2i2 design because of the added input/playback knob.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
DavidMcKnight

Post by DavidMcKnight »

I recently upgraded from an M-Audio M-Track (basic 2-channel) to a Behringer 1820 8 channel input. So far I'm very pleasantly surprised. I'm using it with MX on an i-5 and have low latency and minimal resources used. I have not done any extensive testing of using all 8 inputs yet but have a schedule to do so in March.
MX 9 Pro, 64-bit. DIY PC w/ i5, Gigabyte Mobo, 16GB, Windows 10. DIY desk from HomeStudioGuy. Behringer 1820. M-Audio LX-4 monitors. Dyna-Bass 5-string. Strat w EMGs. Seagull acoustic. R0de NT1-A, Behringer C2. M-Audio controller. 27 miles of cable.
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
When I got my new computer, built for music production, I got Mixcraft and a Focusrite 18i20. It works great with Mixcraft. I gives me the inputs in wanted, and is expandable if I need more inputs. It allows me to use hardware processing as well.

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Partsman

Post by Partsman »

Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
I am a home recording hobbyist (wannabe)
For flexibility I run all mics, guitar, bass, keyboard, edrum module into a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX
Main outs go to the Scarlett then into Mixcraft Pro Studio 9
By using the mixer up front I can switch inputs quickly without having to rewire my rig
Last edited by Partsman on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.