Midi Keyboard Controller Questions

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Studio 919

Midi Keyboard Controller Questions

Post by Studio 919 »

I plan to get a midi keyboard controller soon and have questions. I've read reviews on several makes/models but keep going back to the Alesis QX49 or possibly the Samson Graphite 49.

When I start a new project (song) and insert a virtual instrument track, and then select a VSTI, how do I know which knob on the keyboard controls what function in the VSTI? For example, let's say I install the VB3 organ. How do I know which knob operates the rotary speaker switch?

Secondly, the Alesis is said to be "class compliant". I take this to mean that it uses the Microsoft drivers and that an "Alesis driver" is not needed. Is this correct? Most of the other makes seem to use their own drivers. What are there advantages/disadvantages to either method?

Last (for now), the Alesis is said to be "plug and play". Does this mean that no matter what VSTI I select it automatically assigns the knobs, faders, pads to perform certain functions of the VSTI?

Any other advice that may be helpful before I buy will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

outteh

Re: Midi Keyboard Controller Questions

Post by outteh »

The controls of a particular vsti are established by the vsti manufacturer. You probably will have to experiment to see what the knobs of a midi controller do with certain vstI's. For example, the vb3, the modulation wheel on my controller controls the rotary switch.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You've got options.

The MiniMogueVA actually has it's own built-in MIDI Learn. Just right on a knob in MiniMogueVA's interface and select Learn to map it. (Twiddle a knob on your MIDI controller while in Learn mode).

Or, you can map the virtual instrument like this:

Click MIDI learn, then select a parameter. Twiddle a knob on your MIDI controller to map it to that parameter.

The tricky part about this method is that some virtual instruments really don't label the various parameters very clearly. MinimogueVA does a pretty good job, though.

Once you've done this, you can record automation for the mapped parameters on the automation lane for a track.

Greg
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Tom and Greg,

Thanks for the replies. I thought this might be the case. I guess I just need to get one and play around with it. I think the Alesis QX49 may be my best bet. The reviews indicate it to be user friendly.

Thanks again.
Barry

outteh

Post by outteh »

With all other things being equal, pick huge one with the most knobs and sliders that you can program.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Tom, that's exactly what I thought. I've seen some that have only a few and felt more would be better. I've also wondered about 61 keys instead of 49. I don't want less than 49.

Barry

outteh

Post by outteh »

If you are a true keyboard player you probably want the 69 keys, bit large in a small studio space, but you'll find it easier to play with two hands. If just screwing around, like me, :lol: 49 keys is more than enough. :D