Can interfaces be stacked?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AHornsby

Can interfaces be stacked?

Post by AHornsby »

If I had two Presonus' USB interfaces would I be able to "stack" them into two USB ports... and have them work as a single 4 input interface?
outteh

Re: Can interfaces be stacked?

Post by outteh »

If you can get both recognized at the same time by your OS, then you should be able to use then in Mixcraft. Problem I see is in monitoring. Not sure how you can get the outputs of each to go through the same source.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Thanks Tom.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Also, Gypsy is looking to do the same thing. In his post are some articles. It appears ASIO won't support daisy chaining.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

you can use ASIO4ALL as an aggregate device but usually only w/ different brands of A.I.'s & even then you'll run into synch/word clock issues.
bottom line is basically no- 2 identical units will have driver recognition issues since they will both want to be recognised as the main driver.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

gypsy101 wrote: bottom line is basically no- 2 identical units will have driver recognition issues since they will both want to be recognised as the main driver.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks.