MOTU 2408 mkII. (I AM AN IDIOT!)

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ktk9

MOTU 2408 mkII. (I AM AN IDIOT!)

Post by ktk9 »

:shock:

I just realized this morning that I am an idiot. My stupidity seems to know no bounds.

I have a MOTU 2408 which uses a PCI card that goes into the PC. I bought it used and I've never used it. I began building a new PC with the intent of using this device as the centerpiece of my audio recording. Anyone care to guess what I found out this morning?
The PCI card I have is a PCI324 - which I found out uses 5volts.
PCI sockets have been 3.3volts since around 2000.

Yep.

Just spent $1200 building a PC - to use a PCI card - that won't even work in it!
:shock:

Lovely.

So, now I have to buy one of their new PCI cards if I want to continue with the plan to use this device.
Or I can wait 6+ months, and get one of the new MOTU 24i interfaces which has 24 line inputs and uses USB and Ethernet for audio transfer.
AHornsby

Re: MOTU 2408 mkII. (I AM AN IDIOT!)

Post by AHornsby »

Hello.

For sure. It was definitely no secret.

The Motu website spells it all out. 'Generally speaking, the PCI-324 card is not compatible with most PC motherboards manufactured since 2002.'

I already know that I'll get some arguments about not having an audio card inside your computer anyway so maybe you should think about either getting a compatible mother board, e.g., Gigabyte GA8INXP (also on the MOTU website) or just ditch the MOTU for an updated version.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... dio-system

-h
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

AHornsby wrote:Hello.

For sure. It was definitely no secret.

The Motu website spells it all out. 'Generally speaking, the PCI-324 card is not compatible with most PC motherboards manufactured since 2002.'

I already know that I'll get some arguments about not having an audio card inside your computer anyway so maybe you should think about either getting a compatible mother board, e.g., Gigabyte GA8INXP (also on the MOTU website) or just ditch the MOTU for an updated version.

http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... dio-system

-h
Well, the thing is - I thought I had a 424, not a 324. The guy who sold it to me lied, and I was dumb enough to trust him. I know the 2408 works - I saw it in action.
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

OK,

now I am $350 poorer. LOL

it sure goes quick.

I ordered a new MOTU PCIe-424 card to go in the PC.