MIXED LOGIC M24 Control Surface.

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ktk9

MIXED LOGIC M24 Control Surface.

Post by ktk9 »

This weekend I purchased a Mixed Logic M24 ( http://mixedlogic.com.ivy.arvixe.com/overviewpg1.html ) Control Surface. We shall see how well if works with Mixcraft7 once I get all this stuff up and running.

:D
Rolling Estonian

Re: MIXED LOGIC M24 Control Surface.

Post by Rolling Estonian »

That is SWEET! Congrats! Definitely let us know how it works out, even though it'll just make most of us jealous!

M
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

Rolling Estonian wrote:That is SWEET! Congrats! Definitely let us know how it works out, even though it'll just make most of us jealous!

M

Thanks.
I'm really happy about it. A friend of mine who lives in Upstate New York bought one around 2008 or 2009.

Well, what I did was this:

I smoked cigarettes for 30 years.

Currently, they are $6 a pack locally, and I smoked a pack and a half of them each day - which comes out to $9 a day in cigarettes, or $63 a week - which is $252 a month on cigarettes. So I quit smoking, and I started putting $9 in a coffee container every day. You can't do this by the week or month, you'll find an excuse to not do it - you have to put the money in the on a daily basis.
My cigarette money soon built up and after three months I had over $750 in my account, and that was when I decided to buy Mixcraft Pro Studio 7, build the new i7 Quad 4.0 PC with 64 gigs of RAM, and buy the M24 Control Surface.

So if you have a vice you can do away with, then go for it and put the money in a savings account just as if you still had the vice - trust me, if you don't think about it you won't miss the money.

The biggest ripoff ever is gourmet coffees from places like Starbucks. My brother and a few friends drink several Starbuck's coffees each day. We are talking about $12 to $16 a day on COFFEE each day. I could almost build house for that kind of money. :lol:

I can buy two HUGE containers of Maxwell House or Folgers and have enough to make a month's worth of coffee for about $15, and if I spend another $30 on a pair of large Thermos insulated bottles I could keep hot coffee with me at all times. lol

Sometime around the end of this year I intend to buy the latest MOTU 24i and the 6-channel Monitoring piece from MOTU. I'd like to have 48-Inputs, 24 outputs and the Monitoring device - and I'll get there at some point.

If you start looking for unnecessary expenses, you might just be able to find some regular "expense" that is not an actual necessity, and put it on something you want. So far, it is working for me.

:wink:
Last edited by ktk9 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolling Estonian

Good for you!

I quit smoking several years ago after a pack a day for 25 years....... So glad, and yes, it is VERY expensive. Not to mention the whole, 'it will kill you' thing! lol

I budget like that too, a little here, a little there. If nothing unusual occurs I'm good to go but recently it's been one thing after another, new dishwasher next for example. Life can be a four letter word at times! :? But it's all good.

M
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

I just thought,"I'm turning 48 next month so I'm going to go for this."

I'm thinking about trying to pick up part time job, or even a full time job and putting every penny from that in the bank for a couple of months.... but my girlfriend is not so happy about that prospect.... but I still like to have some active studio monitors.

:lol:
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

And it all may be for nothing. :(

I contacted Mixed Logic today, and they had never heard of Mixcraft Pro Studio 7, and had no idea if Mixcraft could even Map all 24 faders of the control surface. they said it may be able to do the first 8, So we shall see. I'll be very disappointed to have to give up my Mixcraft and go to Cubase, Sonar, or one of the software brands that does utilize all 24faders.
Rolling Estonian

It'll be fine! You can individually map any/all faders and knobs that you want through MC7 midi learn. They're just saying that it probably won't be plug and play right out of the box. I had to map all of mine with my Korg NanoKontrol2, a process but not tough at all. A lot of companies standard line is that they won't guarantee that it works with any other software but it will, the technology is the same.

MC7 does have Mackie support which is pretty universal when it comes to control surfaces, that could be an option.

I can't guarantee it 100%, but I'm willing to bet that it'll be okay. If you can assign commands it can be done in MC7.

M
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

Awesome!

It arrived this morning. This sucker is huge - It's about 45" wide and 18" deep. I have a Korg NanoKontrol and for some idiotic reason - I figured the M24 would be light, but it feels like it weighs about 50lbs.

Now I have to get a MIDI Interface since the MIDIMan USB MIDISport 8x8/s that I bought will not work with anything later than Windows 98. Dumb me, I should have thought to ask what software they were using because I asked a few keys players what to get and they all told me this was the best MIDI Interface out there - and they are all using Win98 on notebook computers.... so they most likely had no idea that it won't work with newer versions of Windows.

So, I am going to just bite the bullet and buy a brand new MOTU 5x5 Micro Lite to get me started and then later on get one of their 8x8 models.
ktk9

Post by ktk9 »

Well, I wound up buying a brand new MOTU MIDI EXPRESS 128.
Since MIDI is going to be such a large part of the home recording process for me - I figured I might as well just do it.

Still waiting on a Power Supply for the PC Build.