Should I buy this Alesis Q88??

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

CottonFX

Should I buy this Alesis Q88??

Post by CottonFX »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask some advice and hope I can get it within about the next 15 hours or so. Let me start by saying I am a guy who has played various instruments throughout my life but not ever much higher than on a hobby level. I took piano lessons for a short time as a kid, dabbled with the keyboard and guitar throughout my life, played the trumpet very well for several years in high school, etc.

Last year I got the bug again and discovered how much tech had advanced and started learning about VST's and DAW's etc now, along with some budget keyboards. I originally had thought about buying a Casio WK-6600 but never did because at the time I didn't have the money.

Recently I got the bug again and discovered the Alesis Q88 which was a little cheaper than the Casio but is only a midi controller. Thing is, I mostly plan to play using VSTi's with the PC anyway so I thought this might not be bad.

To try to wrap this up, I recently found what I think it a pretty good deal for a used Alesis Q88 at a local store for $80 and I'm wondering if I should buy it. Honestly, it will be used mostly for learning, playing around, having fun, and seeing what sort of covers I can create. I like that it has all the keys like a piano and I am aware it doesn't have the same action but Inot having playing a bunch of high end keyboards, can't tell the difference.

I know this keyboard is one of the lowest end ones but I checked it out in the store and it was more solid than I expected and the keys felt better than I thought they would.

Knowing all that, do you guys think this is a good deal for me to jump on? I would need to grab it first thing monday morning before anyone else could so any responses I can get between now and then would be appreciated.

My thought is at a price like that, if I ended up wanting to sell it in the near future I could probably atleast get my money back or close to it worst case.

Just for reference if it matters, my PC specs are below. Thanks.

I7-950 overclocked to 4ghz
24gb DDR 3 ram
X58 Extreme mother board using integrated sound card

(It's an older system but maybe it can work and it is great for gaming and decent for VR)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Should I buy this Alesis Q88??

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

$50 sounds like a great deal. It would work just fine with Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Re: Should I buy this Alesis Q88??

Post by Mark Bliss »

I was going to say I'd pay that and shipping to get it here from anywhere in the cont. US. 8)

I have a Q25 for portable studio use. Haven't used it much lately since getting a bigger unit here, but it works fine for similar needs to what the OP describes.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page