Microhpone Upgrade

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Mattakriptic

Microhpone Upgrade

Post by Mattakriptic »

Hey everyone! Hope all is doing well!!

So basically, I'm thinking about doing a a microphone upgrade - My current one I'm using is the classic Rode-NT1-A, Mainly for vocals although I have tried it with Acoustic guitar and manged to get some pretty good results (In my opinion)

The current microphone I'm looking to upgrade to is the sE Electronics sE2200a II, again mainly for Vocals (Singing & Rap) Was wondering if anyone has any experience with this mic and if you guys think it would be a 'Good' decision, thanks for reading guys!
Mark Bliss

Re: Microhpone Upgrade

Post by Mark Bliss »

I have no personal experience with the sE, but have heard good things about the product line.

But I also am not sure what you would expect to gain from this. I wouldn't expect a great deal of difference between it and the Rode for your described usage.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mattakriptic

Post by Mattakriptic »

Yeah I've looked up some reviews online about the microphone and heard it's one of the top quality mics for such a low budget.

Don't get me wrong, the Rode has provided me with great recording for my vocals and I have been more than satisfied with the results, though I have noticed that it can be a bit TOO harsh on the high end, yes I know some EQ can help tame the frequencies but I'd rather prefer not have the problem in the first place.

Keep in mind I plan to keep using it, I'd also just like to experiment with the sE and see what I can achieve with it, plus it's always nice to have options :).
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Mark Bliss wrote:I have no personal experience with the sE, but have heard good things about the product line.

But I also am not sure what you would expect to gain from this. I wouldn't expect a great deal of difference between it and the Rode for your described usage.
I would, and for reasons stated: the nt1a is notorious for a harsh high end. If someone gave one to me for free I'd just turn around and sell it.

Have not used the sE stated but also hearing a lot of good things about them. Whether it would work for you depends on your voice type etc impossible for us to say and everyone has their favs. You might also consider the new nt1, totally redesigned. Honestly the only way to know is to try, if only more places had that set up somehow!