Workstations in the $1000 ballpark

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

Workstations in the $1000 ballpark

Post by mixyguy2 »

Those who have or have used etc, interested in your thoughts. I'm looking currently at Korg Kross, Roland DS-88...the FA-07 intrigues me but no local store carries yet to try out and very curious about the "semi-weighted" keys, which would be great if true (i.e. not a cheap light synth feel but not a heavy piano feel either). Not interested in Yamaha or Casio, but open to other possibilities.
mixyguy2

Re: Workstations in the $1000 ballpark

Post by mixyguy2 »

50+ looks and no opinions? Really? wow
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Maybe because there are so many configurations out there and they are always changing. Look for something with multiple cores, lots of RAM and a fast hard drive (7200 RPM).

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I think the inquiry is about MIDI or keyboard workstations Greg, not computers.

Mixyguy, over the years I have observed that a large number of people read the forum topics but choose not to reply or participate beyond that.

And even among the regular participants, I find many only occasionally venture into the sub-forums beyond the general forum.

I guess of the remaining percentage, few use MIDI workstations perhaps? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mark Bliss wrote:I think the inquiry is about MIDI or keyboard workstations Greg, not computers.
D'oh! :oops:

One thing that's important with keyboards is the feel of the keys. See if you can get your hands on one of these units down at the music store and try it out.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Agreed, especially for experienced keyboard players.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

mixyguy2 wrote:... Not interested in Yamaha or Casio, but open to other possibilities.
Just curious, what do you have against Yamaha workstations? (Casio I can understand).
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Mark Bliss wrote:I think the inquiry is about MIDI or keyboard workstations Greg, not computers.
D'oh! :oops:

One thing that's important with keyboards is the feel of the keys. See if you can get your hands on one of these units down at the music store and try it out.
lol @ PC thing :)

Agreed on keybeds and thx, I have. Frankly none wow me. They're all too heavy or too light for my tastes. I didn't grow up with a grand piano so I guess that's why I don't like the heavy, and the light are downright unplayable, to say nothing of the cheap feel. I'd like a TRUE "semi-weighted" keyboard but yet to find one. They're either GP heavy or "synth action" light. Don't like either. But since none seem to have it, I'm letting that go...

Jon, I found Yamaha and Casio to generally have noisy keybeds (that "thunk" sound) and Yamahas IMO are user-unfriendly as well from what I have seen.
Wisco52

Post by Wisco52 »

Throwing it out there, just starting out with the bedroom studio path in my retirement and to learn everything I am using a Roland XP10 I used for many years gigging. I'm used to the key feel and the midi to USB connection is pretty much plug and play.
One day I'll figure out how to access the sounds in the keyboard to use thru MC.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Welcome! And you let us know if we can help you with that.

(Hint: Audio out instead of MIDI.) :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page