MIDI controllers (keyboards)

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mixyguy2

MIDI controllers (keyboards)

Post by mixyguy2 »

What have you used and what did/didn't you like about it? I am shopping.....61 keys minimum, btw, and greatly prefer 88. Semi-weighted. Want transport controls, anything else is optional.
mixyguy2

Re: MIDI controllers (keyboards)

Post by mixyguy2 »

200 looks and no replies? ?? None of you have used these, really? :(
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

400+ looks now. I've never seen such a shy group. :wink:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Go down to the music store and see what some of the different MIDI controller keyboards feel like. That might give you an idea of which models to stay away from.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
starise

Post by starise »

I'm sorry Mixcraft isn't my main DAW and I don't get around these parts often as I would like. Are you strictly working ITB? If so, internal sounds are not as important.

My main controller is a Casio PX-5S 88 keys which is both a midi controller and a synthesizer. That keyboard was a hit because it has such good piano feel and sounds. Makes a good midi controller, and is lightweight for gigging.
It has a few things out of the ordinary too like battery and A/C power. Has both midi and usb midi ports. Has been a great thing for me because I occasionally gig out with it. Cons- The programming menu system for the synth is not intuitive and takes a lot of work to figure out. Other than that, it's great.

I also have an M-audio ProKeys88sx. This one has internal bread and butter sounds in it. They don't make this keyboard any more. Mine has basic decent internal sounds in case you take it out to play it without a laptop. It has a good intuitive layout, the ability to immediately change the keys of the tune with front buttons. IOW you can play a tune in C and have it tuned to G so you are with the rest of the band all with the push of a button. Midi functions are not deep on this one but they are good enough for most uses. The newer M-Audio 88 does NOT have internal sounds. The thing I really like about this keyboard is it only weighs 17 pounds! It's tough to find an 88 this light weight that also has internal sounds.

I have a Roland Juno Stage that is also no longer made. It is the 88 key version. If i want some decent hardware sounds I go to it, but have also used it extensively in the studio as a midi controller.

I have a few more keyboards. One is a Yamaha with excellent piano sound and weighted keys. Most stay in my closet since I'm remodeling for a new studio space. I mainly use and recommend the Casio as a decent 88 key controller and synth.

Most any intermediate midi keyboard will make a decent midi controller.

I personally think some of the older out of production keyboards are much better than some of the new stuff. Nectar seems to be a good choice if all you want is a midi controller. You can get a bunch of the cheap stuff with crappy little plastic keys for under 100.00 and it will put midi into your computer. IMO it doesn't hurt to look at used stuff. You might land a keyboard with more functionality for less.

If you invest in Native Instruments libraries then their controller is a very attractive option since it maps to all of their software. Akai has some decent stuff. I'm an 88 key guy, 76 minimum if possible so none of the 49 key stuff does anything for me, but that's me.
Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD,Win 10 64bit, Presonus Firetube Studio
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
CbB, Studio One, Mixcraft 8 Pro, Ableton Live 10
https://soundcloud.com/starise
mixyguy2

Post by mixyguy2 »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Go down to the music store and see what some of the different MIDI controller keyboards feel like. That might give you an idea of which models to stay away from.
Thanks Greg and trust me, if that provided any answers I'd share them. :) The stores around here (mostly Sam Ash and GC) don't have any models I'm interested in...about all they have out are those tiny 29-key models and the like and pretty much ALL synth action. ugh.
starise wrote:I'm sorry Mixcraft isn't my main DAW and I don't get around these parts often as I would like. Are you strictly working ITB? If so, internal sounds are not as important.
I always thought "MIDI controller" meant "no built-in sounds" but I guess not....but yeah, all ITB.
I also have an M-audio ProKeys88sx. This one has internal bread and butter sounds in it. They don't make this keyboard any more.
I stopped there. :) Should have added, looking at new only.
I'm an 88 key guy, 76 minimum if possible so none of the 49 key stuff does anything for me, but that's me.
That's me too!