Does new Mixcraft 9 now work with Komplete S61 features?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dathyr1

Does new Mixcraft 9 now work with Komplete S61 features?

Post by dathyr1 »

Hi,

I dont see much mention about Mixcraft 9 working with Native Instruments Komplete keyboard products such as the S61 and provide complete NKS control.

So I thought I would ask again, Besides just the normal midi keyboard control, Can Mixcraft 9 be setup and use more of the features of the Komplete s61 such as track control, adjusting volumes, etc. Does Mixcraft 9 work with the NKS scripts.

Seems many of the other DAW's now provide NKS control. Just thought I would ask. Currently I dont have a Komplete keyboard.

I do have Maschine studio hardware and software but have not tried to use it with Mixcraft 9.

thank you for any info,
Dave
Acoustica Greg

Re: Does new Mixcraft 9 now work with Komplete S61 features?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, we didn't add NKS support. We still support MIDI control, Mackie Control and the button controllers listed under Control Surface preferences.

I would think you should be able to use MIDI learn to map some or all of those controls.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

Thanks Greg for your reply and information.

I am still in debate whether to even get a NKS keyboard which they do look interesting what they do. Since I do have a Maschine Studio and Maschine JAM, Studio is the same type of device with similar features minus a keyboard capability to play.

I do have a smaller Akai controller 2 octave keyboard which I can setup the 12 controller knobs to do various things with Acoustica 9 and my main 61 key Triton sampler keyboard. Plus I do have a couple other types a midi controllers with foot pedals and a midi guitar which is a blast to play.

Thanks again and back to more exploring of Acoustica 9 features.

Dave
ThoseFromHeaven

Post by ThoseFromHeaven »

Hello,

I've noticed a few people getting Native Instrument MIDI boards and was wondering if there is any plans or thoughts of adding full compatibility with this? the MIDI learn button doesn't take full advantage of the keyboard with the quantize button and many others. It would be great to get full compatibility with this as its not too many buttons to be added.

Thanks,
Richard
Check out my music:
https://linktr.ee/ThoseFromHeaven

Richard :)
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

I did get the Komplete S61 keyboard but have not tested midi with Mixcraft 9 other than playing notes. All I have done so far with the S61 is install Komplete software and to see if it comes up ok. With the Komplete software installed and all the music stuff I have, the Komplete software takes forever to come up to load and run with the keyboard. And I have a pretty fast PC computer.

I think most the controls on the keyboard only work with their Komplete software running. I do have Ableton and Studio one 4 that work better with this Native Istrument keyboard.

I also have the AKAI MPK249 49 keyboard and interfaces very well with Mixcraft 9 once I assign the various controls and setup a dedicated keyboard preset just for use with Mixcraft 9. I use this allot with Mixcraft 9 and other stuff.

take care.
Dave
Anders Hauge

Post by Anders Hauge »

Yeah , I have the same question and request of NKS script in Mixcraft.
I wish I could use my komplete a61 in Mixcraft as flawlessly as it does in studio one. I would love to continue using Mixcraft but since I have this very seamless setup between my a61 and studio one I'm wondering, should I spend time learning the new daw interface or just stick with Mixcraft and accept the limited use of my midi keyboard 🤔

Anders
dathyr1

Post by dathyr1 »

I find that Presonus and Ableton DAW's do have a little better way to interface with Komplete software.

With that said, for most of my things I do with a DAW, I find Mixcraft 9 is easier to work with for most of
my needs to compose.

Havent done much musical things for a while, so I would have to get back into it sometime to refresh my memory
what does work. I know my Komplete keyboard has a midi mode, but forgot what all i can control with a standard
DAW like Mixcraft 9.

take care

Dave
HawaiianEye

Post by HawaiianEye »

I supported Mixcraft from ver 6 to 9. This was my jump-to DAW after Sony Acid Pro7 went stale.
And Yes, What Mixcraft brings to the table is awesomely HUGE! You need nothing else.

But, most all other modern Professionally used DAWs FULLY support Komplete Kontrol Keyboards and the KK software products.
I'm not talking about needing to assign midi control.
I mean the amazing as a plugin, Komplete Kontrol Keyboard's (s49-61) series screens and knobs seemlessly become one with Cubase,
FL Studio, Ableton Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Studio One, Bit Wig, Reason, and others.

So, I (hopefully temporarily) jumped ship to a DAW that seems to be "The Peoples DAW" in a similar manner that Mixcraft is. Reaper.
Where Mixcraft gives you tons of audio files to mix and loop, Reaper has nothing but a few great effects, included. A big plus for Mixcraft!
But, You can totally customize Reaper, to look, and act the way you want. Nothing is like it.
And it will do anything those expensive Big Boys can do. Like Mixcraft, it has a huge, friendly, helpful, user base!
So, I made Reaper work and look like Mixcraft, because I "think" like Acid Pro and Mixcraft. And my Komplete Kontrol Suite integrates.
To this day, I still use Vegas Pro for video, because it's the same layout also!

If Mixcraft equaled all these other DAWs in just this one instance, (Komple Kontrol plugin integration), they would be irresistible!
By the way, Native Instruments is not competing with the Mixcraft DAW in itself.
All the "Big Boys" include plugins that compete with NI. Doesn't bother them. It just adds expandability.
Also, I still have Mixcraft 9 included in my Audio Studio. I'm patiently waiting and hopefull!
My feelings are, if this happens, Mixcraft would be the GOAT.
Gasparius

Post by Gasparius »

I'm still waiting for the NKS support, but now it's almost the end of 2023. I see that there has been no movement in this matter for years, unfortunately, and there may never be. I guess there are financial reasons. After about a year, I simply have to buy the Komplete S61, because it is so good. I'm sorry, but this will decide the fate of Mixcraft for me.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There are no immediate plans to support NKS, but you can use Mixcraft's powerful MIDI learn feature with the Komplete keyboards.

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:03 pm Hi,

There are no immediate plans to support NKS, but you can use Mixcraft's powerful MIDI learn feature with the Komplete keyboards.

Greg
How? I can only assign a few sliders via Midi learn. Mute, solo, rewind, forward, shift etc. don't send any MIDI information. This apparently only works with NKS support. Or have I missed something here?

Patrick
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What configuration options do you have with the Komplete keyboard? Can you change what those controls are sending?

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:32 am Hi,

What configuration options do you have with the Komplete keyboard? Can you change what those controls are sending?

Greg
Hi Greg,

No, you cannot configure these controls. I asked NI about this some time ago.

At the moment I'm using it as MCU inside Mixcraft. This means play, stop and record work with the knob controls. The joystick also works to adjust the cursor. But something like loop, mute etc doesn't work for me. That's why I ask for NKS support for a long time, because there is no solution.

I have a second studio setup with an akai mpk261. I did everything via Midi learn without any problems.

I have the impression that NI wants to force everyone to NKS.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 10 added a new scripting API for people who know Javascript. This would make it easier to add specific support for MIDI controllers. We're slowly adding new devices as we get our hands on them, but people outside of Acoustica could make scripts as well.

Thanks for the suggestion about NKS, I'll pass it along again.

Greg
ppayne

Post by ppayne »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:04 am Mixcraft 10 added a new scripting API for people who know Javascript. This would make it easier to add specific support for MIDI controllers. We're slowly adding new devices as we get our hands on them, but people outside of Acoustica could make scripts as well.
Yes, I saw it too. But because no Midi seems to be sent from the controls, I haven't tried it. That's probably NI's trick. They simply bypass Midi completely for some controls.

I'm not even 100 percent sure if NKS support would solve this problem or if another protocol is involved from NI. Therefore, this needs to be clarified in detail first.

On the s61 you have the option to switch between Instance and Midi mode. Instance probably means NKS and Midi means midi. What's interesting is that when you switch to Midi, some of the controls no longer light up on the keyboard. These don't send MIDI either. Just to annoy the whole world.

This probably means that NI intentionally disabled these controls via the firmware or keyboard driver. That's why I suspect that the NKS support, i.e. the instance mode, would support the controls.

NKS itself is even more, like selecting instruments, etc. No one in the world needs that in conjunction with a DAW. But of course you miss the disabled controls that you can no longer assign in Midi mode.

I hope this helps understand why I miss NKS support. I don't care about any other NKS features. But that all sounds worse than it actually is. I can use MCU and the 8 sliders can also be easily assigned via Midi learn. Additionally there is a good shortcut system in mc10. So for me this is a really low priority feature compared to the instrument preset things I've already reported.