Advice: TASCAM US-16X08 PAIRED WITH TUBEOPTO8

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

JoshALL

Advice: TASCAM US-16X08 PAIRED WITH TUBEOPTO8

Post by JoshALL »

Hello All,
Looking for some advice.

I had purchased the TUBEOPTO8 to act as a preamp for my Zoom R16 interface because I did not like the sound from the preamp this unit offered.
However, I recently ordered (waiting for it to arrive) the TASCAM US-16X08 because I really wanted the extra 2 inputs for instruments so I can get full use out of the 8 channels for recording.

My question is: would there be any benefit to keeping the TUBEOPTO8 as a Preamp for the Tascam? Or would the preamp on this unit stand well on it's own?

I am just on a budget and I can return the Tubeopto8 if it is not needed, but if it adds some actual value, I will make the setup work.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you kindly.
jlouvar

Re: Advice: TASCAM US-16X08 PAIRED WITH TUBEOPTO8

Post by jlouvar »

Everyone's likes and dislikes are different, so I recommend keeping the TUBEOPTO8 until after you have a chance to see if YOU need/want it as a preamp for the Tascam or not.

Edit: I have several different preamps, I think of them as an artist using different colors painting. :wink:
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
jlouvar

Re: Advice: TASCAM US-16X08 PAIRED WITH TUBEOPTO8

Post by jlouvar »

On second thought, since you can return the Tubeopto8, and you’re on a tight budget return it, because you can always buy another preamp if you find you need/want one after you get the Tascam.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar