Tascam US-16X08 latency/lag

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

JoshALL

Tascam US-16X08 latency/lag

Post by JoshALL »

Anyone use this interface with Mixcraft or have any issues?

I am running Windows 10, have Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, and have all current up to date drivers.

I am getting latency with this unit. Never had issues when using my Zoom R16.

I go to record guitar in the line 9 insutrment input, and it works great, no problems at all.

Went to use channels 1-8 to record drums and I ran into issues with playback being slightly off, the latency gradually gets longer over time when recording.

Any advice on this setup at all would be greatly appreciated.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Tascam US-16X08 latency/lag

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did you download and install the latest driver from Tascam's web page? If not, be sure to do that.

Once that's in place, go into Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences and make sure you're using ASIO mode.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
JoshALL

Post by JoshALL »

Acoustica Greg wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:44 pm Hi,

Did you download and install the latest driver from Tascam's web page? If not, be sure to do that.

Once that's in place, go into Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences and make sure you're using ASIO mode.

Greg
Hello Greg,
Yes, I have installed the latest driver for the Tascam Unit, as well as changed the device to ASIO.

I am not sure as to why I am getting the lagging issue.
On the software channel for Tascam that you need to run, I have tried changing the buffer sample rate, and it works temporarily, but it gradually starts falling behind.

The instrument Line channel runs perfect in Mixcraft,
Like I played along to the click, and it works great, playback is fine.

It is when I record with channels 1-8 which are the preamp channels, that I am running into problems.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the lag is coming from the preamp, there's nothing that Mixcraft could do about that.

When you changed the buffers, did you lower them? You changed the sample rate, too?

Greg
JoshALL

Post by JoshALL »

Yes, I changed both and I lowered them.
I don't think it is a mixcraft issue as people in online threads have brought up similar issues with reaper and cubase.

But no one has posted a resolution as to how to fix it,
And I feel like it is something to do on the Tascam side of it.
JoshALL

Post by JoshALL »

So after reaching out on a few forums,
People are saying it might BE on the DAW end.

My latency issue stems from every new track I create, gets further and further off time.

If I create a new session,
The first track I record is bang on with the click.
Then I will record a second take, and it is slightly off but not too noticeable, so I deleted the second take and re did it.
It was even further off from the first one and it would gradually keep getting worse.

I have the updated driver's for the interface, no problems there. Monitoring while "recording" is fine,
I have messed around with the buffer settings but both the DAW and the interface has always been the same and I am in ASIO mode.

Is there ANYTHING else I should be changing on the DAW end for this?

I haven't changed anything else cause I never used to have to with the Zoom R16. It just worked when in ASIO mode.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

But it doesn't happen unless you're recording the preamp audio? Or does it happen regardless?

What sample rate are you using?

Maybe your sample rate and buffers are too low, and you're dropping bits of audio because there's not enough buffering.

Try it again and send in your mixcraft-log.txt file.

To find the mixcraft-log file, highlight the following line and press Ctrl+C to copy it:

Code: Select all

%appdata%\Acoustica\Mixcraft\
Press the Windows Key+R to pop up the Run box in Windows. Click in the Run box and press Ctrl+V to paste in the line from above. Finally, click OK to go to the location of the mixcraft-log.txt file. Submit an Acoustica Support Request and attach the log file along with a brief description of the problem.

Greg
JoshALL

Post by JoshALL »

Just sent the email with the report.

From what I am gathering now,
Because this time I turned on the unit and mixcraft, ate dinner and came back. Even the first track came out lagged behind the click. So unless I start my session right away, it just seems to start lagging the longer it runs.

The sample rate are both set to the standard of 44100
Which is the standard on the unit and I have toggled between the 128 and the 256 buffer rates and tried them.
JoshALL

Post by JoshALL »

May have caught something happening...

So in the preferences screen where I change my system to ASIO to match the Tascam Interface, everything matches:

Sample Rate: 44100
Buffer Size: 128
Latency in ms: 2.9

But at the bottom of the mixcraft program it is reading:

44100 hz, 32 Bits, 5.8 ms
Could that be something?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Try 44.1 and 512, that's a good starting point and anything around 10ms is more than fine.

M