Roland Fantom X and Mixcraft 9

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Thecass

Roland Fantom X and Mixcraft 9

Post by Thecass »

Hi Guys,

I've asked this before but to be honest I didn't understand the answer.

Can someone please dumb this down for me as much as possible.

I use my Roland when I'm recording but I've never been able to access the sounds in the Roland.
I can only use the Sounds in Mixcraft 9.

The last reply I received mentioned selecting Midi channels but I didn't understand how to select midi channels.
I'm a guitar player who had to learn keyboards to record.

So please can you dumb it down as much as possible.

Many thanks in advance and I love this forum.

Cass
Acoustica Greg

Re: Roland Fantom X and Mixcraft 9

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Instead of choosing a virtual instrument on a virtual instrument track, choose External MIDI Device > Roland Fantom X.

Any MIDI on that track will be sent out to your Roland and your Roland will play the music.

MIDI doesn't contain any audio, so you have to send the MIDI into a plugin or a hardware device to make the sound.

To have Mixcraft play sounds from your Roland, you would make an audio connection from the Roland to your computer, and then record the audio output of the Roland on an audio track within Mixcraft.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Drdish007

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
You will also have to have the output/outputs of the Roland keyboard connected to your audio interface to be able to record those sounds.

MIDI has 16 channels. So set the MIDI channel to the one your sound is on. My Roland has a main sound on MIDI CH1, and other instrument sounds on other MIDI channels. Drums are on MIDI channel 10.
Hope this helps. You can also lookup MIDI for more information.
- Myran
Mixcraft 10.5Pro596, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 3rd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
Thecass

Post by Thecass »

Thanks Guys,