Monitor suggestion?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bmyregaard

Monitor suggestion?

Post by bmyregaard »

So, I blew the tweeter in one of my M-audio BX5a monitors (huge volume surge when opened and played a track for mastering. Lesson: always start with speaker faders down or off!) I’ve ordered a replacement tweeter (amazing that instrumentalparts.com has one!), but I was thinking of getting a bit bigger speakers anyways. My room is about 10’x20’, rectangle. I think 7” monitors would be ok, not overkill. Looking for a bit more low end. From all the current reviews, I’ve narrowed it down to 3, in order of preference: Adam T7V, KRK RP7 G4, Yamaha HS7. I guess my budget is around $250 each. Wish I could go listen to all of them, but I can’t. Comments/suggestions/advice?
Akai MPK MK3, Korg MicroKEY 25, Akai LPK 25, Korg nanoKEY2; Behringer XR18, Mackie ProFX8 v2; Adam T7V monitors; Shure Beta58a, Rode NT1-A; Acer Aspire E15 laptop, i5-8250U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD www.facebook.com/darkstarproj www.soundcloud.com/bmyregaard
mixyguy2

Re: Monitor suggestion?

Post by mixyguy2 »

I can't speak to those specific ones, but I would recommend JBL 305s (5") which IMO is plenty for that size space, but you could go for the 308s if you really felt the need. I don't think they have any extra low end, but studio monitors aren't supposed to anyway....