Headphones... Redux

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Northfield.Lenox

Headphones... Redux

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

Hi, I've seen a few threads on headphones here. I record exclusively with virtual instruments and imported samples, so I don't do any live recording. That said I've been using Sony MDR-7506 phones for several years, and rarely if ever use monitors. I've tried a few others phones based on reviews but keep coming back to the Sonys. I've grown irrationally dependant on them to the point that I bought a second pair, made sure they work and have tucked them safely away. Is there a better approach, such as alternating? Or just keep going with what works for me.. Curious on feedback from others that do most or all work with phones..
Drdish007

Re: Headphones... Redux

Post by Drdish007 »

Hi,
If it is working for you, no need to change. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
I use monitors and headphones.
Have fun, and stay safe!

- Myran
Mixcraft9RS(469)64Bit, Win. 10 64Bit, Intel i5 @ 3.20GHz, ssd 250GB(os),1TB hdd(library audio),1TB hdd (recorded audio),Nvidia GeForce1050i video,16GB RAM,Focusrite 18I20 2nd gen usb,Motu 5 ch.midi interface, D5,U220,Keystation88,B4000+,Leslie,Rhodes73mk1
cactus-head

Post by cactus-head »

Hello,

This thread's a little old but: I use sony MDR 7520s for all of the flat level detailed mix settings kind of stuff. They are closed back and let me hear the the nitty gritty of the mix. I then use Sennheisser HD 558s that are open backed so I can hear more of a natural listening mode kind of sound for the mix. Then finally, I need to hear real air being moved so I use monitors for that. I cycle between the three to try and come up with a final mix or sound that I think is listenable to. This is all before mastering. Then I go through the same cycle.

I can tell when some of my friends mix only with headphones. Often the final doesn't sound great in open air with real speakers - it's often light on the bass and there is poor middle handling; but then again, none of us are that good at mixing at this point. Just so you have some variety, read some reviews on some different headphones and try them out. You never know what you might be missing in your sound. And from time to time, listen in the open air with good speakers if you can.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Yep, this thread is a little old but I too use headphones exclusively (Sennheiser HD650's)

Did you know there is a hidden little gem in Mixcraft's arsenal for headphone correction?

For accurate reproduction, try Tone Boosters (TB) Morphit on the master track. Yes you can use the demo without any hassle and even save your headphone preset.

Morphit.png
Morphit.png (266.29 KiB) Viewed 4815 times
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
creativeforge

Post by creativeforge »

trevlyns wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:00 pm Yep, this thread is a little old but I too use headphones exclusively (Sennheiser HD650's)

Did you know there is a hidden little gem in Mixcraft's arsenal for headphone correction?

For accurate reproduction, try Tone Boosters (TB) Morphit on the master track. Yes you can use the demo without any hassle and even save your headphone preset.
Morphit.png
Toneboosters' Morphit improved my HD600, opening up the sound a bit. I bought it, along with their EQ 4. Great and useful plugins!
Northfield.Lenox

Thanks, might check out Morphit...
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Just a heads up; I keep it at the end of my mastering chain, but it needs to be activated each time you open the project - just hit the demo button and reselect your headphones (can be saved).

Unless you bought it of course. :D
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Northfield.Lenox

Thanks, so there is a demo version? Could not find that on the website...
Northfield.Lenox

Nevermind, found it!