NPCD!

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rolling Estonian

NPCD!

Post by Rolling Estonian »

New PC Day!

I have been scrimping and saving since early this year to get a new laptop as my main production unit, yesterday was the day! Was looking at some of the custom laptop builders out there, think Xotic, HIDevolution etc. I happened upon an Amazon sale that I couldn't resist so I pulled the trigger. I got a Sager, 17.3" screen, 17-10750, 32gb ram, 1TB ssd and 1TB hdd. Compared to my i7-4500 with 12gb ram, holy cow! This thing is a beast! A project with a few vsti would get me jammed up pretty quick, not anymore! I had a few vsti with several vst open and humming and only was at %10 usage, awesome! Stoked and very happy!

M
Northfield.Lenox

Re: NPCD!

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

Nice!

I recently switched to a new desktop PC build. Its a beast as well, having everything including all the libraries on one SSD is fantastic. Experiencing the same excitement not having to wait to load instruments or bouncing tracks to audio to free up CPU, etc. It's going back to just having fun!

I also picked up a cheap matching side DELL monitor on Black Friday so now have a 27" monitor flanked by 2 x 24" monitors, all neatly plugged in directly on the video card. I though having 2 monitors was great, but the the extra space and especially the symmetrical layout is wonderful.

Technology is amazing thee days.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Northfield.Lenox wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:25 pmTechnology is amazing thee days.
Truly! For us older folks advancements like these are absolutely mind blowing compared to how we grew up. I hate saying, "When I was your age...."

M
Northfield.Lenox

Post by Northfield.Lenox »

As an old guy I agree. I do not have any "fond memories" of things like renting and recording on a 4 track cassette... There's a time for nostalgia, and a time to say, wow... that sucked..