I/O issue. Delay in tracking audio.

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

matchu

I/O issue. Delay in tracking audio.

Post by matchu »

Posting this again. Still have not gotten an answer.

my tracks sound delayed upon hearing them against a metronome.

To demonstrate the issue: While tracking, I will record the metronome by placing the headphone near the mic. On playback, i keep the metronome on, and listen to the live metronome along with my recorded metronome. The two are not matched or even close. when I zoom in to see the wave, I see that the recorded click was recorded after the metronome. The live wave file of the click does not drop right on the beat. it appears after the beat even though it is a recording of the metronome. it makes no sense. the effect sounds like a slap delay.

this makes tracking to midi drums or even the click track empossible because the recording sounds horrible. I cant track anything. everything sounds off like i have no timing.

Mixcraft 9. ASIO Drivers. Windows 10. tascam us16x8 with up-to-date drivers.
Rolling Estonian

Re: I/O issue. Delay in tracking audio.

Post by Rolling Estonian »

The delay is caused by the metronome signal going to the headphones and back through the mic.

M
matchu

Re: I/O issue. Delay in tracking audio.

Post by matchu »

that cant be right
the delay is immense. it renders live tracking impossible.

lets say Im a robot with perfect timing. I can sing to a click track and be right on beat. If i want to track my robot voice and play notes on the beat of the click track, I would listen to the headphones to hear the click and sing on the beat. Assuming my robot timing is perfict, the notes I play should line up with the click track. In reality, they do not. the tracked notes hit slightly after the beat. so even this robot voice would sound delayed. Im sorry. if i am not clear. but tracking live to a click track isn't working. the results are delayed to a point where they sound very off.