Boss Katana 50 MkII issues

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

adam.billington

Boss Katana 50 MkII issues

Post by adam.billington »

Hi, I recently purchased the amp above in order to use via usb connection.The issue I have is that when I select the Katana as the ASIO driver it only gives me the option of Primary or Secondary as both recording input and playback - it won't let me hear the vsts that Ive already recorded. Normally I use the Alesis i02 for playback. How do I listen to my other tracks while recording guitar? Thanks in advance.
Rolling Estonian

Re: Boss Katana 50 MkII issues

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Make sure you have the monitor button pressed, otherwise you won't hear the vst.

M
adam.billington

Which monitor button? Monitor incoming audio? Or is there another one I'm not aware of?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

It's the little speaker icon next to the tuning fork in an audio track.

M
adam.billington

Yeah, that doesn't make any difference... as I say, the problem I have is that it won't let me select the io2 for playback and the katana isn't capable of playing back vsts. Surely there is a way to record from a usb amp and hear the vsts you have already recorded?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If it's got an ASIO driver, surely it must allow you to listen to playback from the DAW? Have you checked with Boss? I looked at the manual, and I didn't find any clarification on this point.

Make sure to download and install the latest driver from them: https://www.boss.info/us/products/katan ... downloads/

Alternatively, you could route the (non-USB) audio output of the amp through your Alesis device.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

I do not believe you can do this with a windows machine. It only lets you use one asio device at a time. On a mac I believe it is possible.

You can try to select your Alesis as the asio device and then see if you can select the Boss as the recording input device but I do not believe it will work.
The best way would be to take the Phones/Rec out into your interface and record that way. It's not digital but it works as I have recorded this way before ( Boss Katana 50 mk1 ).

This is just the way it is with a lot of the guitar amps and processors that have USB outputs.

Another way to do it is to record along with the original recording would be to export the audio you have and play it on a different wav or mp3 player and you record along to it.
Then edit ( move the wav file) to be in time with the original audio tracks.
adam.billington

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I find these forums incredibly useful. It turns out the only way to do it the way I wanted is to use the phones socket on the amp itself - lets you hear everything and gives you the lowest possible latency. Probably should've tried that first...thanks again.
adam.billington

should have clarified - using the phones socket for monitoring rather than recording
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

adam.billington wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:22 am Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I find these forums incredibly useful. It turns out the only way to do it the way I wanted is to use the phones socket on the amp itself - lets you hear everything and gives you the lowest possible latency. Probably should've tried that first...thanks again.
I remember I recorded a track on the Katana with the Phones/Rec out one time and ended up re-recording it because it did not sound like it did in the room. It seemed to have more gain. So I just adjusted and did a retake. That output has it's own cab simulation I believe and it sounded different. So you may have to do some testing. Now I just mic the cabinet with a Shure SM57 when I record with the Katana.A great little amp for the price.