Microphone alters voice?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

UilleannB

Microphone alters voice?

Post by UilleannB »

I have a studio microphone from Blue, Spark Digital, an USB microphone.
I tried to record my voice with Mixcraft 9 Pro Studio, just to notice it alters my voice, making it deeper and slower.
When I just record it (with the same microphone) with the Voice Recorder software that's build into Windows 10, it is just as it should be, pitch, speed and all. If I record it in Mixcraft, it sounds like in a movie, where the soundtrack is indicating drug intoxication, noticeably lower and slower than I sung it.
Does somebody has an idea what the reason for this could be and how to change it?

(I know the opinions differ, eventually I will get another kind of microphone, but it would be nice getting this first to run nonetheless.)
Acoustica Greg

Re: Microphone alters voice?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's probably not the microphone, it's some setting or another. It could be some kind of sample rate issue. Which sample rate are you using in Mixcraft's Sound Device preferences? Try using the same sample rate you're using for Windows.

Also, look at the audio clip on the Sound tab. Over on the left, is it set to "Use Project Tempo" or "Time Stretch?" Try a Time Stretch of 100%.

Same with "Use Project Key" and "Transpose." Try Transpose at 0.0.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101