Map CC11 expression to Midi Controller

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

edng

Map CC11 expression to Midi Controller

Post by edng »

Hi folks, is it not possible to map CC11 expression to Midi controller? I checked the manual & looked across various posts but I couldn't figure this out. Pls enlighten me if it's actually possible.

I'm using M-Audio Code49 which has mod wheels. And my VST is Play by EastWest. I tried to use the learn mapping function under Effects i.e. the top [+] for Add Midi Controller & manually select CC11, but this just hangs Mixcraft.

Thanks guys.
Ed
cactus-head

Re: Map CC11 expression to Midi Controller

Post by cactus-head »

Hi,

I don't think play maps specifically to expression CC. Usually with Ease West Instruments, they will have a suffix like Hard MOD, SOFT MOD, or DYN MOD.

The MOD represents that the expression of the instrument is controlled by the MOD wheel. That doesn't mean it's CC 11. Becuase of the complex layering of samples EW instruments, it uses different MIDI channels and triggers to play a sound. One sample might be the start of a breath, the middle sample might be the extended note, the last sample might be a close of the note instrument. Each of the samples may be triggered internally in Play with a different MIDI channel or CC. Therefore, there is specific programming to use the MOD wheel to control the crossfade (expressive volume) of the instrument.

The fact that Play uses the mod wheel to control expression out of the box suggests that CC 11 isn't mapped for this purpose. That's my understanding but I could be wrong.