BSOD

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jwarv

BSOD

Post by jwarv »

Anybody else experiencing the BSOD when using their MIDI controller? I have two older models, both M-audio. One is Keyrig-49 and the other Axiom 25. Both are legacy and done with any new updates. As Windows 10 (or soon to be 11) gets updates, do I approach ever more inexorably the reality that I dread? In other words, am I forced to buy new? Or has anyone found a hidden gem of a workaround?
Acoustica Greg

Re: BSOD

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Look carefully at the BSOD error message. Does it mention a driver file? That would be a clue about what the problem is.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

The last one said "system service exception". I've Googled that but still not clear. I can say that it only happens when I turn on either of the MIDI controllers. Not always right away. sometimes it's a while after using it. But it has me paranoid to use them.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If it mentions a file, it's usually in the lower left area of the BSOD error.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

OK, here's a screenshot of the most current event. Not seeing a file mentioned, but I followed the QR code and it led me to a Microsoft rabbit hole of a solution. Not sure I want to go down that path. I might bite the bullet and buy new.
BSOD.jpg
BSOD.jpg (278.09 KiB) Viewed 3688 times
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Oh, a more generic BSOD. It's still probably due to a driver on your computer, most likely audio, but it could be graphics or something else. Did you try updating your audio driver?

Microsoft does have a troubleshooter for BSOD errors: Troubleshoot Blue Screen Errors

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Yeah, the best drivers are already installed.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Did Windows tell you they were the best drivers? Windows might not really know whether they are the best drivers. Did you go to the hardware manufacturer's web page and download the drivers from there?

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

I did download the last drivers available for the two midi keyboards from M-Audio. As far as audio and graphics, it never occurred to me that updates wouldn't be through windows. I'll try that.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If that doesn't fix it, you can use Microsoft's BSOD troubleshooter.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Thanks. The troubleshooting ain't worth it. Did you set how many steps there are? Sheesh. And there are no guarantees it will work. It will be easier just to buy the latest keyboard. :roll:
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The other thing would be to contact the makers of the hardware involved. They may have a firmware patch or something.

Greg
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

That's worth a try. I'll try contacting support. Thanks. But I'm spoiled by you guys, so don't have high expectations. Haha.
jwarv

Post by jwarv »

Well, further exploration of M-Audio support reveals this: "Windows 10 Support for M-Audio Products-
Many products are compatible with Windows 10 and there are no known issues with any M-Audio items. Below is a list of our current products and their compatibility with Microsoft Windows 10.

Note: Newly released operating systems always carry a risk of introducing unforeseen difficulties. If your projects are time-sensitive, we recommend staying with your current operating system for the time being.

*Legacy products not listed here are not tested on Windows 10. While legacy products may indeed work as expected, they are not officially supported."

Keyrig 49 was not listed, and there is no firmware patch, therefore I am left standing in the rain. :cry: However, I will write to them in one last-ditch effort to see if they have any advice...and I bet it will be "buy new".
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It only happens when the Keyrig 49 is connected? Try a different USB port. If you're using a USB hub, bypass that and plug directly into your computer instead.

Greg