iso 64 bit mixing board usb.. advice?

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

greatpaws

iso 64 bit mixing board usb.. advice?

Post by greatpaws »

hello,
i have a new laptop running vista 64 bit (soon to be windows 7 64 bit). i have an alesis multimix 8 usb mixing board. turns out, alesis doesn't make good 64 bit drivers (and you have to make a special request to get them to tech support) only to find delays and pops. hubby has mixcraft running on his old windows xp machine where the alesis works just fine.
however, i have mixcraft on my new laptop but need something with phantom power for my mics and that can plug into my laptop's usb inputs. ( is it asking too much for it to have adjustable levels too? and under $300?)

any suggestions? i've found lots of sound cards for desktops but that won't help me here...

thanks so much!!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Not sure how to help you here other than look around at musiciansfriend.com
I have a couple of m-audio products that do everything you ask accept the USB part. I have the delta 1010LT and Delta 44, both have phantom and both are PCI cards.

Good luck
greatpaws

Post by greatpaws »

thanks eric!
i actually have found a work around i'll post since it wasn't obvious to me, maybe someone else can use it.

i didn't realize i could just pipe everything thru the mic in on my laptop and by pass the need for usb drivers altogether, giving it an analog feel in the process.

thanks for your help!!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes you can do that, accept if you want to record for example, a stereo cassette deck, you will only get one side, or both sides mixed since the mic input is mono.