Odd mic technique

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

CRAZY6STRINGS

Odd mic technique

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

I have an acquaintance who long ago shared a mic technique I never heard of. He told me that it was the latest technique being used in pro studios. This was about six years ago.

Here s the technique...put a foam windshield on the mic, but cutting a small or tiny hole in it first. Have the singer get real close and sing into the hole.

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this before. He's since gone on to open a pro studio and I assume he's doing well. Its been open several years now.

Anyway...has anyone heard this and even if not, any opinions about this method...
AHornsby

Re: Odd mic technique

Post by AHornsby »

I have never heard of such a technique and would question its validity as legit. After all, if it were legit, wouldn't mics have the feature "built in" already?

Anyway, is this pillow type foam or some left over house insulation? :lol:

OTOH I could imagine the holey foam being behind the mic before I could being used in front.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

weeaalll.....
Yeah, I've seen something similar described and used.

Opinion:
For one thing- Close mic techniques have gotten to the point where they are perhaps taken to an extreme.
Lets call it "ultra close" mic technique. There may be a time and place and performer and project where this might provide a useful effect......

But ultimately, suggesting it as a mainstream solution is outright nuts.

Speaking strictly for myself, I'd rather have a vocalist who pulls back a few inches from the mic, maintains that position and distance, and PROJECTS at least a little and can EMOTE as part of the performance.....

If you can capture that, mic selection, position, mud guards, windsocks, foam B.S. filters and all the rest become far less relevant.

I've had my fill of close miced mouth noises, breathy......... lackluster un-enthusiastic performances.........
Meh.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
CRAZY6STRINGS

Post by CRAZY6STRINGS »

Thanks for both of your inputs. I didn't think this was a viable practice. Perhaps someone was pulling the leg of the person who shared it with me.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Hey, I say use whatever works. Whatever floats yer boat, Whatever gets you through the night..... etc.

Quit relying on plug ins and electronic effects, and record something weird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaW4FciCdiQ
Check it out at 1:25 :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page