Are you unfamiliar with keys and chords?

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

AHornsby

Are you unfamiliar with keys and chords?

Post by AHornsby »

Here's a nifty little chart (for guitarists mainly, I guess) that might help build some familiarity with the piano keyboard.

http://www.joefinn.net/html/chord_speller.html
david123

Re: Are you unfamiliar with keys and chords?

Post by david123 »

Awesome chart AH! A good musical theory tip for new guitarists (any musician for that matter) is to begin with the major triad and lower the third one half step to create the minor triad/chord. Lowering both the third and the fifth one half step will create the diminished chord.
Also, the Circle of Fifths can be real helpful to memorize for major key signatures, relative minor keys, and sharps/flats.
david123

Post by david123 »

Here is one sample of the Circle of Fifths. You can search the web for many various looks, but I've found this one to be useful.
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG (619.97 KiB) Viewed 7746 times
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I don't see what chord to go to after a Dom7Sus4th? :lol:

Good stuff, but don't try to memorize all 26 combinations in all keys. IE, don't let it overwhelm you.
If you understand how the Maj and min chords work, you've got the basics covered. Don't let those jazz guys intimidate your efforts to learn basic theory.

Keep it simple.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
david123

Post by david123 »

Mark Bliss wrote:I don't see what chord to go to after a Dom7Sus4th? :lol:
Geeez, Everybody knows what chord comes after Dom7sus4 chord Mark! :D
Mark Bliss wrote:I don't see what chord to go to after a Dom7Sus4th? :lol:

Good stuff, but don't try to memorize all 26 combinations in all keys. IE, don't let it overwhelm you.
If you understand how the Maj and min chords work, you've got the basics covered. Don't let those jazz guys intimidate your efforts to learn basic theory.
You're right learning music theory can be overwhelming for a lot of people, and one truly never stops learning I suppose. That's exactly what charts and wheels are good for; use them when you need them. Knowing the relative minor/major keys are easy and using charts are helpful. Knowing WHY they are relative to each other can come later to the learner.
Mark Bliss wrote:Keep it simple.
Absolutely! It's like learning to mix right? :roll: Overwhelming at times, frustrating at times :lol: but learning to Keep It Simple is huge as I am learning. One has to remember to put all the "stuff" down and pick up that guitar and let the music flow from the heart. :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep. There ya go!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

david123 wrote:[ One has to remember to put all the "stuff" down and pick up that guitar and let the music flow from the heart. :D
I've been cheating on old 'Windy' lately by taking up the keyboard more and more.. which is why I went looking for that chart in the first place. I can understand that 'alpha approach' better than I can the guitar chord charts or the 'magical' wheel. Call them a crutch if you will but I had a day job with part-time week ends and a family to raise for most of my adult life,
david123

Post by david123 »

AHornsby wrote:
david123 wrote:[ One has to remember to put all the "stuff" down and pick up that guitar and let the music flow from the heart. :D
I've been cheating on old 'Windy' lately by taking up the keyboard more and more.. which is why I went looking for that chart in the first place. I can understand that 'alpha approach' better than I can the guitar chord charts or the 'magical' wheel. Call them a crutch if you will but I had a day job with part-time week ends and a family to raise for most of my adult life,
No kidding, we just had our priorities way out of line back then! :lol: