Editing Tracks - Conventional Shortcuts vs. Automation

Post any tips and tricks you've discovered for using Acoustica software here.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rus

Editing Tracks - Conventional Shortcuts vs. Automation

Post by Rus »

First off, this isn't saying that you can't do one or the other or both; however, when it comes to the latter, most think in terms of fading in and out. Did you know that this can be done abruptly as opposed to cropping tracks?

I learned this technique watching a tutorial about editing video, but this can be done with music as well.

While it's advised that you still plan ahead (document ideas/changes), here are some advantages/disadvantages to each method of choice:

Conventional Shortcuts

A. Appearance

Tracks look more "realistic" if what's supposed to be there is while what isn't, isn't. (Of course, when you actually score the piece - regardless of the method chosen)

Kick on measure 1-8; Snare doesn't come in till measure 5

B. Familiarity

I've always done cropping before I realized I could use Automation abruptly to get the same result

C. Certainty

Provided you have everything planned out, documented and are 100% certain this is how you want it. (This is also disadvantageous)

Disadvantages

C, trumps all because how many are absolutely certain after one or two takes?

B, as it is different and you're unsure of how to produce the same result

A, Tracks don't looks "real." Some major instrument-ing happening, but I don't hear anything. I wouldn't necessarily call this a "disadvantage" though.

Which brings us to:

Automation/Automating

Like I said from the beginning, most think in terms of gradually fading in and out; however, you can do this in an abrupt fashion as well.

A. The Obvious

However, just to make this clear: What if I'm working with midi instead of audio?

While you can just simply take out what you don't want playing (alot easier than audio tracks) you'll probably end up in limbo:

"I like this, but I took it away and it'll take alot to put it back!" (I've been there)

To remedy this: just keep what is there and apply automation instead. If you don't want something played, but wanna leave the notes, evoke a drop of some kind. Likewise, if you want something played, but rather not put it back.

B. Familiarity

When used enough, you may evoke this technique as to call yourself "fooling the ears." (No one will know unless you tell them or send them your raw track with the automation displayed)

C. Uncertainty

Not an issue when all you have to do is move the nodes as opposed to 10,000 other things in conjunction with the conventional method which will really mess you up!

D. Mistakes? What mistakes?

This method really works if you're someone who writes as you go or whether not refer to a written recipe as you know you'll change your mind a gazillion or so times - especially perfectionists (Guilty, and proud!)

Having said this, that "initial" recipe still should be written, no matter how many times one does change it.

E. Ease and Convenience

Workflow is much, much faster as you can clean up any "mistake" made.

Oh, I rather have the snare come in on measure three instead of five. Take those nodes and move them accordingly.

Again, there is nothing wrong with either method, but given the reasons I've listed, you see why I prefer it (and I did use the Conventional Method before realizing this, too) It is quite possible to use both!