Yet another suggestion. Nooo!

Discuss the easiest dj mixing software on the planet. :) Well, we think it is..so there. :)

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric

tekhedd

Yet another suggestion. Nooo!

Post by tekhedd »

To start with, let me say that I still think DTB (or whatever its official unofficial acronym is) is awesome. I have other software (*CENSORED* and *CENSORED* ;) ) installed, but nothing is better for throwing together mixes. With a few minutes of crossfade tweaking, they're quite acceptable. (Or sometimes even really good...)

In fact, the *one* thing I wish it had, which would make it perfect, would be some way to invert the beat. The only thing you can't fix with a quick spot check of the crossfades is when the beat is "upside down".

Now, I realize it's evil to detect these things in various styles of variously mixed music. Really evil. The easiest solutions I can think of, programmatically, are to (when manually requested) go halfway between the detected beats, or else have something like the "next/prev beat" button, but that only does half a beat.

Just an idea. I'd totally do a little dance if you did something like that. But I wouldn't post it to youtube, so don't get your hopes up. :)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Ok, if you promise not to post your dance on youtube, i will dare to ask further :-)
I am not sure I get what you mean. Do you want a function to automatically take the song to half time?
Like from 100BPM to 50BPM?
Please explain further.
tekhedd

Re: re

Post by tekhedd »

Acoustica Eric wrote:Ok, if you promise not to post your dance on youtube, i will dare to ask further :-)
Well, it breaks my heart, but OK.
I am not sure I get what you mean. Do you want a function to automatically take the song to half time?
Like from 100BPM to 50BPM?
Please explain further.
For example, sometimes the engine decides that the snare drum is the kick drum, so when you click "next/prev beat", it seeks to the next offbeat. So, the kick drums now alternate between the two tracks. Thinking that you're just off by one beat, you click "next beat" again, but oh no, it searches to the *next* snare hit, and you're still off by one beat. What would be neat is if you could nudge the time by 1 beat (and ideally also half a beat) based on the current tempo of the track. See? (edit) Note: this can currently be accomplished by working out the length of a quarter note in milliseconds and hand editing, but this is, well, not so great. :)

PS - I'm currently torn between the trendiness of hip hop moves and the freedom of pure interpretive dance. Maybe I should combine both?
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

We are talking about dj twist and burn right?
tekhedd

Post by tekhedd »

Yes, I'm talking about DJ Twist & Burn. In the crossfade time adjustment dialog (where I spend most of my actual time in the program), there are next/previous beat buttons that seem to look for the next or previous peak, which is often not the 1 or 3. :) If I could just nudge it an additional beat (based on song tempo, not anything fancy) it would be a lot easier to tweak the "mix" aka crossfades.

I could post a video to youtube demonstrating, but maybe that's going overboard. :)
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

ahh, ok i get it now. yes that would be a lot more precise. I will point this thread out to the developer so he knows customers ask for the enhancement.
You are a youtube fan huh? :-)
tekhedd

Re: re

Post by tekhedd »

Acoustica Eric wrote:You are a youtube fan huh? :-)
Hah, actually not at all, but it seems to be the hip thing these days. I keep seeing this conversation on line:

A. "What are you listening to right now?"
B. "This band called Band Name."
A. "No, I mean, link me to the youtube video of the song."

Seriously. People confuse me. Most of the music I listen to doesn't have a video...